Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190
Ok, so I got a chance today and tried to start it up (I also replaced the filter in the fuel water separator). So I turned it over with the ignition disconnected and primed the fuel system. Hooked the boat up to water (using the bucket). After a few turns HYDROLOCKED!!!!! I pulled all the plugs, water is only in the right side of the engine in every cylinder this time. I went ahead and pulled the right manifold off. I took a hose and plumbed it into the manifold, turned the hose on full, no water is seen coming from the exhaust ports on the manifold. I then connected the hose to thermostat housing, water flowed through the engine and out the left manifold. I left it there for a minute no water flowed any of the cylinders on either bank. Any thoughts where I should go now.

On a second note I'm testing the boat on a slight incline (2-3% grade), with the bow on pointing to the bottom of the slope. Could this cause water to build up in the exhaust and flood the cylinders???? My exhaust is not clogged, ran some water through and it flowed out but some water did say at the bottom the exhaust.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Strange...... that's not good news... I wonder if one of your exhaust hoses is paritailly blocked possibly...can happen and look normal from outside...
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Are the exhaust hoses hard or soft?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Are the exhaust hoses hard or soft?
Hoses ate rigid but they are not bridle.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Can you squeeze them? If they compress easily they may be shot.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I would pull both exhaust manifolds, stick the hose in the bucket and crank it. That way you can rule out the exhaust system.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars n Stripes
If it were me troubleshooting I would remove suspect manifold , I would remove the riser and make a metal plate and install in place of the riser using one of the riser gaskets . Then use a hose and pressurize the manifold if no water flows from the exhaust ports the manifold would not be the problem.
If the manifold checks good I would reinstall the riser ( with known good gasket,remember aft port will be blocked ) . I would cap off the exhaust end with a plastic coke bottle or something of the same diameter using one of the large exhaust clamps. Then again pressurize the manifold same as before and look for leaks.

For a down and dirty you can stick the hose end inside of the manifold inlet hose and clamp for testing . I still feel you will find a riser/gasket problem .

Last edited by johnnye23; 08-31-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM
TT Regular

Ok I think I'm on the right path. Put everything back together The exhaust hoses are collapsing when starting. And the exhaust flaps are shutting closed. This can mean I have stuck valve or bent rod, however I would not have compression if this would happen. Would exhaust back pressure be enough to pull the flaps closed? Looks like I'm at least on the right track now. Any comments? and thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood87 View Post
Ok I think I'm on the right path. Put everything back together The exhaust hoses are collapsing when starting. And the exhaust flaps are shutting closed. This can mean I have stuck valve or bent rod, however I would not have compression if this would happen. Would exhaust back pressure be enough to pull the flaps closed? Looks like I'm at least on the right track now. Any comments? and thanks for all the help guys.
Here is what I have learned about exhaust hoses (which isn't much): they do collapse but from deterioration more so than pressure. Click on the link in my signature line and find a picture and a description of my experience. However I do not think you have exhaust back pressure in this scenario. I may be wrong but a collapsed hose basically restricts or impedes water flow which in turn impacts cooling capability. There could be an atypical case of water being forced back into the exhaust ports but.........I do see what you're asking about the flaps being 'pulled' closed. I'll be following your thread to see how this works out for you.

Read what I had to say back when (link in my sig line) and hopefully this may (or may not) give you some insight on your thoughts. You can also click on the link in the top-right of the single post (my link), and find the entire thread.

If you are really all about checking the manifold and riser for leaks (aka cracks) take them to a machine shop or engine shop and get them to do a mag. particle test. Very simple, and inexpensive.

Remember ==> $0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
You replaced the starter and it sounds to me like your starter is turning the engine the wrong direction. I would verify the engine rotation.

Tags
engine, head gasket, windsor