Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1994, 351
1994 MC Prostar 205 LURCHING/SURGING

Hello,
I am two weeks into ownership of a '94 205 with the 350 chev and the engine has troubles. It will drive fine with good power, steady speed and normal function. Then it will start to lurch/surge, usually after hitting it to go from zero. It sounds as if the engine is starving for fuel as it will cut power, then surge, cut, surge. In most cases it will stall right out after several surges and stalls. After one, two or three of these it will pop, sputter and then run fine for a period of time and then start all over again. It has plenty of fuel. I have not added fuel conditioner yet. Do these boats have fuel filters? Do fuel pumps on the way out behave this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Yes, you should have at least one fuel filter. It should be on the back side of the motor.

You may also have one above the fuel tank if installed by the previous owner.

It sounds as if either you have a clogged filter or your fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Check the filter(s) first and then the pump secondly...might be a cheap fix.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Will do Rockman. Are the fuel pumps on these standard to the chevy 350 or specialized for marine use?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I am not 100% sure...I know a number of people have got them at Rock Auto and Napa so I believe they are non-marine.

Someone else can verify though. Sorry!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Yes skidim sells a marine one for 300+ the rock auto one under a bill. Also check plugs and distributor. Seafoam of throttle body works wonders on top end and fuel consumption.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Before you buy anything run it with the flame arrester off and watch your injectors. If one is sputtering when the surge happens then I might be able to help.

I went through a similar problem and mine was the computer and the driver powering the injectors. Either search for posts by me to find it or I will post the link when I get home.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Maniac

Here it is:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=36482

Not saying its the same thing but maybe my experience (documented in this thread) can help...

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
TT Regular

Hey Double D,
From your thread it seems your main problem was at idle. Is that so? While my engine does occasionally idle erratically (pulses very slightly) the main issue is the engine actually cutting out and re-engaging. It pulls hard then stops, pulls then stops and after a few seconds to minutes of this it usually runs fine again. Does this sound familiar?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Hey Double D,
From your thread it seems your main problem was at idle. Is that so? While my engine does occasionally idle erratically (pulses very slightly) the main issue is the engine actually cutting out and re-engaging. It pulls hard then stops, pulls then stops and after a few seconds to minutes of this it usually runs fine again. Does this sound familiar?
Oops, I might have missed about it being under power. When mine did it it was mostly during idle, but when I was running the perfect pass on wakeboard runs it would do it then too so when my son made a cut the boat couldn't keep up.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
TT Regular

Tonight I replaced the bilge pump, took off, cleaned and resealed the bulkhead that separates the ski locker from the engine bay and removed the fuel filter to see if it was plugged. I am able to easily blow through the fuel filter so I doubt that it is the cause of the engine cutting out. If this were the fuel pump wouldn't the engine be bogging down instead of cutting dead and then refiring, cutting dead and refiring? Somehow, even given my lack of mechanical experience, this feels more electrical in nature than mechanical given the sudden and complete cutoff of power and the sudden refiring. If I am off base, please set me straight.