Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-24-2013, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Getting ready to paint trailer

So I'm getting ready to paint my trailer this fall. I'm going to leave my boat on the trailer since I don't have the option to borrow a trailer. My queston is I don't want to spray my boat and I've read in the past people using a roller or brush. What paint would allow me to use either method? I don't want brush marks and still looking for a nice gloss. I know shooting it would give me a better finish but I'm going to wait a couple years before I do that. This is more of a get me by paint job till then.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Just a thought - get a big-*ss tarp, and put it over the trailer before you load the boat the last time this season. Pull it up around the boat, and you won't have to worry about overspray.

Alternatively, leave the boat in the water for a couple of weeks before you pull it out the last time. Leave all the marine growth on the hull - once again, you won't need to worry about overspray because it'll all come off when you scrub the gunk off.

Other than that, I don't have any great suggestions. I almost did mine this summer; was just going to rattle-can it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
I'm planning on painting my trailer over the winter, unless my boat happens to sell before then (i doubt it will). I have some rock chips that drive me nuts. My plan is to use plastic sheeting and tape off anything i dont want paint on. It'll require me to do some crawling around but i don't think it should be bad. I was planning on trying using spray paint and see how it comes out. I've seen a few redneck paint jobs on vehicles over the years that i never would have guessed were spraypaint, so i know its possible to do a good job. I can always sand and repaint if it turns out like crap.

I'm interested to see or hear what others have done and how it turned out.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 190, 285 hp HO, 1:1
Get a roll of thin plastic from the paint dept. of the big box store and a roll of tape. I sprayed mine with a spray gun. Since you're going to roll it or spray can it you wouldn't need much. If you do have any rust chips I would get a small bottle of rust neutralizer like a Rust Mort. Find a local body shop supply store for an etching primer to cover any bare metal once it's sanded and treated for rust (if any). Sand it down with some 180 then lastly about 400 grit, especially along the front rails where rocks get kicked up. Being it's a trailer and not a car, I go for a lower grit instead of 600 for more bite and less chance of chipping. Most of the spray can paint you purchase is either lacquer or uncatalyzed enamel. They now have paint cans with a catalyzer inside that can be activated. This will last and shine much longer than regular enamel paint cans. Have fun with it. Remember, if you do use catalyzed paint, you must wear a respirator. Can't hurt on the other paints either.
Attached Images