Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-25-2014, 03:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 prostar 190
Cool HELP...bleeding the brakes on my trailer

The transport company got here and left my boat with a broken brake line. After all the work I put into the boat I am now ready to make the trailer ready. I put the new brake line in but when I look to pump the piston with the release up it doesn't seem to feel like it is going in and out.Worse than that, the fluid level isn't changing and with the fitting loose nothing seems to bleed out. Does anyone think the master cylinder is clogged or the lines themselves ?? Any body ever encounter this ? It is a 1996 Mastercraft trailer for the same year Prostar.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
You typically have to " bench bleed" master cylinders to get them to flow and push fluid so you may want to try that as a last resort. My suggestion is go down to harbor freight and by one of there're $25 brake bleeding tools. Hooks to compressed air to create a vacuum at the wheel cylinder and has a bottle that feeds fluid into the master cylinder to keep up with fluid draw. Just need compressed air source and it's a 1 man operation.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, I will give it a shot...
Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
TT Newbie

What does bench bleed mean ? Is that a different animal altogether ?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by william perrine View Post
What does bench bleed mean ? Is that a different animal altogether ?
In the car world you used to have to fill the new master cylinder up with fluid and "prime" it to establish flow on the workbench- hence the term bench bleed. That was before modern tools that folks have easy access today which is why it may not be required if you use a pressure or vacuum bleeder..
Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Rossterman
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i use the mityvac pump. i bought the trailer adapter and you can pump it up and then go from wheel to wheel and bleed them as much as you want. its a great way to flush the system for maintenance as well. works great on cars too.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I just installed a new master cylinder / coupler assy into my trailer last weekend and it started pumping fluid as soon as I started bleeding the brakes. (Old one was completely shot) Considering that your boat is two years older than mine, you may want to replace it. I don't know which type of hitch coupler you have, but if you have the push / pull square style hitch like I do, it is a pain to install a fully pressurized / bled master cylinder assy into the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
TT Newbie

Hey JSturvey, mine was shot. I can tell no one used it in years. The piston was shot and the flexible line going to the T by the brakes was clogged. But Trailer City by me only had retrofit assemblies that get bored to the trailer. Did you actually get the same assembly. The guy said they don't make mine anymore. Problem is the retrofit ones fit over a 3" tongue. The tongue with master cylinder in it is 3 1/2". He had none that wide. Everyone says I don't need brakes on a 19' boat trailer.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Ratchet strap makes it very easy to do it with one person . Don't need breaks? It's a weight issue not a length issue I believe chk local laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk