Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig1995 View Post
Fuel pump at $84.00!!! I'm buying 2.
make sure you test - the first one I got did not work... only a 30 day warranty.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Do you have a part number or link to the actual part, tried searching rock auto and only got newer fuel pumps.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Do you have a part number or link to the actual part, tried searching rock auto and only got newer fuel pumps.
search for P60987
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
TT Regular

Thanks, got it.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Remove the pump - it's at the bottom of the pump. The larger of the 2 holes house the screen in the fitting...
Just replaced the new pump and now missing the small o-ring that seals the gas line to the pump on the top end of the pump (the end with only one port on the pump). Anyone have that part number or should I just go through the dealership?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnye23 View Post
If I were in your shoes I would replace the fuel-pump. If it does not solve the problem ( I think it may well ) you will have a known good spare part that when it fails will leave you stranded. I would suggest installing a fuel pressure gauge but on a boat I wouldn't feel as comfortable as with an automotive application. Good luck sorting it out I know how frustrating it is getting a new boat and having trouble right off the bat.

BTW where are you located maybe I can lend a hand if your close
Problem finally solved. It was the fuel pump after all, you were right Johnnye23. It took some tweaking to get the new pump to work. I delayed installing it for several days as I thought I had lost the o-ring that seals the top end of the pump to the fuel line. Turns out there is no o-ring in that joint at all, just a flare on the fuel line and metal to metal seal with the pump. So, I installed the new pump at lunch today and it leaked at that very joint where I thought I had lost the o-ring. So I took the female end off the old fuel pump and put it on the new pump and voila, no fuel leak at all (there is an o-ring between the female union on the pump and the pump housing but not between the female union on the pump and the fuel line). Took the boat out to the lake after work today and found perfectly flat water and not one other boat on the lake. My buddy and I ripped it up and had no troubles at all. Very happy. Now I am going to fix this baby up and sell it in the spring if repairing my 02 xstar doesn't break my bank account. Thanks for all the posts and help, good to know you all are out there.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Problem finally solved. It was the fuel pump after all, you were right Johnnye23. It took some tweaking to get the new pump to work. I delayed installing it for several days as I thought I had lost the o-ring that seals the top end of the pump to the fuel line. Turns out there is no o-ring in that joint at all, just a flare on the fuel line and metal to metal seal with the pump. So, I installed the new pump at lunch today and it leaked at that very joint where I thought I had lost the o-ring. So I took the female end off the old fuel pump and put it on the new pump and voila, no fuel leak at all (there is an o-ring between the female union on the pump and the pump housing but not between the female union on the pump and the fuel line). Took the boat out to the lake after work today and found perfectly flat water and not one other boat on the lake. My buddy and I ripped it up and had no troubles at all. Very happy. Now I am going to fix this baby up and sell it in the spring if repairing my 02 xstar doesn't break my bank account. Thanks for all the posts and help, good to know you all are out there.
Awesome report - thanks for letting us know!!! When you get a chance put a fuel filter in front of the fuel pump - a number of us have done that... Napa 3003. $2.50 plus a couple hose clamps - or have your hose fitted to take a napa 23481.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Regular

Will look into fuel pump pre filter

Last edited by Zad; 09-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.