Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1994, 351
Also, I would like to be able to trouble shoot this in my driveway. How do I hook up a garden hose to my engine so I can run it on the trailer? My boat has a shower with garden hose fittings for the shower hoses in the engine compartment. Can I attach to one of these? If so, which one?

And hey, thanks for helping out the newbie.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
No I did not. I have read other posts about guys doing this but I don't know what to do. If you have time would you walk me through it or point me in the right direction to find out how and what I am looking for?
I will try to put together a few pictures tomorrow to help..

I didn't have a lot of luck making it happen in the driveway.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Also, I would like to be able to trouble shoot this in my driveway. How do I hook up a garden hose to my engine so I can run it on the trailer? My boat has a shower with garden hose fittings for the shower hoses in the engine compartment. Can I attach to one of these? If so, which one?

And hey, thanks for helping out the newbie.
Make one of these.. hose okay if just idle.. but you'll be amazed how fast the bucket drains when you up the RPM's. attach raw water hose that connects to trans cooler to fitting on bucket or get some 1.25 ID hose from hardware store.

Also - pull the trans button on controller to not engage transmission. If you want to get higher rpm's you'll need to have water running to the cutlass bearing in the drive shaft strut.

Regarding injectors - there are 2. they should have a nice alternating spray in to TBI housing and then alternating fasting IIRC. When I had a heat soak issue - (too hot a t-stat) - the spray dwindled to a trickle until engine cooled.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM
TT Regular

Grrrr...just returned from the lake and it seems the issue is worsening. I removed the flame arrestor and when the engine cuts out, the injectors do too. Clearly, there is some fuel supply issue whether mechanical or electrical. I took some video and will post a link to the video tomorrow. My local boat shop can't get the boat in for a couple weeks so I am considering seeing if I can find a GM mechanic to put a tech tool on it and see if we can figure it out from there.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Grrrr...just returned from the lake and it seems the issue is worsening. I removed the flame arrestor and when the engine cuts out, the injectors do too. Clearly, there is some fuel supply issue whether mechanical or electrical. I took some video and will post a link to the video tomorrow. My local boat shop can't get the boat in for a couple weeks so I am considering seeing if I can find a GM mechanic to put a tech tool on it and see if we can figure it out from there.
I guess the video will show, but both injectors are doing it? Mine was just one and I could switch the wires to prove it wasn't injectors. I'm not ruling out the fuel pump but this could be the ECM / Computer.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Would like to see the injectors fire on the prime.... before engaging starter.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars n Stripes
If I were in your shoes I would replace the fuel-pump. If it does not solve the problem ( I think it may well ) you will have a known good spare part that when it fails will leave you stranded. I would suggest installing a fuel pressure gauge but on a boat I wouldn't feel as comfortable as with an automotive application. Good luck sorting it out I know how frustrating it is getting a new boat and having trouble right off the bat.

BTW where are you located maybe I can lend a hand if your close
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
TT Regular

Hey Johnnye,
Thanks a bunch for the offer, I am up in BC, Canada. I might just go ahead and do the pump replacement as you suggest. As it is, my local boat shop can't get me in until September so it may be worthwhile to risk the replacement.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Hey Johnnye,
Thanks a bunch for the offer, I am up in BC, Canada. I might just go ahead and do the pump replacement as you suggest. As it is, my local boat shop can't get me in until September so it may be worthwhile to risk the replacement.
Just a shot but is anyone near you that could "lend" you a pump to try out? Kind of a far out shot in the dark but maybe someone could help. Heck, I could send you up my old, extra pump from my LT1 but don't know if they are the same or not.

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I dealt with engine surging in my 05XStar w/ 8.1L earlier this season.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...Engine+surging

I can only speak for my boat's surging issues and not familiar with yours, but watch my vid and if its same surging issue- i have good news. My fix only costs a few bucks, but it took me almost 4 weeks of troubleshooting. Truthfully, it was the owner of Ski-N-Sports, Dave Williams, at TRL who diagnosed problem and had the fix.

I don't want to waste anymore of your time if we're not talking apples to apples with surging issue. FWIW - TT is full of great folks who enjoy boating, and love their MC's, but I'd be wary of "throwing money" at an idea someone (myself) said on Internet who has no working knowledge of marine motors. If you want to know if the fuel pumps is culprit, check its compression at key up, engine turning on, and then while throttling up. If your compression isn't good or varies - you will have your smoking gun and didn't waste time and $ with the "dartboard" approach.

Good luck - I know your frustration!!!