Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Don't forget to check the screen at the base of the fuel pump. I add an inline fuel filter before the pump. I checked mine one winter and it was full of crud and mud. IT could also be a failing ignition module... make sure all connections are clean as well as inside your distributor cap.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205, 1994, 351
Hey Mikeg205,
I have read about the filter at the base of the fuel pump however when I look at the fuel pump on the port/stern side of the engine I can't see how I would open it up to find a filter...looks like the pump housing is solid. What am I missing?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Hey Mikeg205,
I have read about the filter at the base of the fuel pump however when I look at the fuel pump on the port/stern side of the engine I can't see how I would open it up to find a filter...looks like the pump housing is solid. What am I missing?
Remove the pump - it's at the bottom of the pump. The larger of the 2 holes house the screen in the fitting...
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Just got a tip to change out the fuel/water separator...hadn't thought of that and will do today after work too.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Just got a tip to change out the fuel/water separator...hadn't thought of that and will do today after work too.
well ya didn't say ya had one of them... not stock on many boats here..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
TT Regular

Sadly, didn't even know I did until I was prowling around in there last night. Ahhh, the rough ride of new-to-me boat ownership.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Sadly, didn't even know I did until I was prowling around in there last night. Ahhh, the rough ride of new-to-me boat ownership.
Good to learn all da stuff... good excuse to get into garage
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Regular

Ok, second day of tying into this issue. Today I replaced the fuel/water separator filter, checked the filter at the base of the fuel pump, checked the entire engine for loose wires - and found one that was almost completely separated from the connector...thought I had found the holy grail. Also replaced all the blower hose which was a mangled mess and only serving to move the engine gases as far as the drive shaft.

Took the boat out to the lake and it still does the same thing.

What I learned: it takes some time for the cutting out to occur, does not happen cold, only when the engine is hot. Driving without the engine cover also allowed me to see that the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking like a sieve at higher rpm...I guess as the water pressure builds to cool the engine it pushes through the gasket (doesn't happen at all at lower speeds or warm up). The gasket that is leaking is NOT the one at the block but the one between the part that attaches to the block and the part that connects to the exhaust tubing (what are the names of these parts?). Both sides, exact same leak. Checked all the hose clamps and most were loose including the exhaust tubing loose enough to leak also.

Is it possible that the water leaking out of the exhaust manifold is dripping down on the wiring (I believe the ecm is on the starboard side of the motor and gets pretty wet from all the water leaking) and causing a short? I tried protecting the wires with a bunch of shop towels but the cutting out still occurred.

Next step: I am going to take a video camera out to the lake after work tomorrow and post a video of what this engine is doing on you tube to see if this helps any of you give some advice.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Ok, second day of tying into this issue. Today I replaced the fuel/water separator filter, checked the filter at the base of the fuel pump, checked the entire engine for loose wires - and found one that was almost completely separated from the connector...thought I had found the holy grail. Also replaced all the blower hose which was a mangled mess and only serving to move the engine gases as far as the drive shaft.

Took the boat out to the lake and it still does the same thing.

What I learned: it takes some time for the cutting out to occur, does not happen cold, only when the engine is hot. Driving without the engine cover also allowed me to see that the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking like a sieve at higher rpm...I guess as the water pressure builds to cool the engine it pushes through the gasket (doesn't happen at all at lower speeds or warm up). The gasket that is leaking is NOT the one at the block but the one between the part that attaches to the block and the part that connects to the exhaust tubing (what are the names of these parts?). Both sides, exact same leak. Checked all the hose clamps and most were loose including the exhaust tubing loose enough to leak also.

Is it possible that the water leaking out of the exhaust manifold is dripping down on the wiring (I believe the ecm is on the starboard side of the motor and gets pretty wet from all the water leaking) and causing a short? I tried protecting the wires with a bunch of shop towels but the cutting out still occurred.

Next step: I am going to take a video camera out to the lake after work tomorrow and post a video of what this engine is doing on you tube to see if this helps any of you give some advice.
Did you take off the flame arrestor and watch the injectors when it was happening??

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Regular

No I did not. I have read other posts about guys doing this but I don't know what to do. Just learned what the spark arrestor is (thought it was the air filter). Now, when I remove it to look at the injectors what am I looking for?