Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
You guys wanting analog gauges do realize it's still a digital signal from the ecm via mmdc or what ever CAN BUSS system is used then reports that information to a tattle tale gauge. Still all the same sensors, wires, ecm's etc. only thing different is the user interface (gauge or flat screen). You want real analog gauges go back to before the early 90's in the mastercraft world before EFI and ECM's. But I guess if a round gauge in the dash makes you sleep better....

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Interesting thread - this topic pops up over and over. James has the right direction. I like digital but I hope replacement parts will be available for us who own 10+ year old boats - in the future. i.e. will you be able to start the boat if the display goes... As technology gets cheaper - will there be a plug in replacement down the road that does not cost $5K.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
You guys wanting analog gauges do realize it's still a digital signal from the ecm via mmdc or what ever CAN BUSS system is used then reports that information to a tattle tale gauge. Still all the same sensors, wires, ecm's etc. only thing different is the user interface (gauge or flat screen). You want real analog gauges go back to before the early 90's in the mastercraft world before EFI and ECM's. But I guess if a round gauge in the dash makes you sleep better....

It is true about the ECM, however It's the operating system and updates that I see going waist side, possibly. Newer cars are equipped with state of the art computers with Internet and even iPad equivalent. Manufactures are moving forward so fast the old is being left behind. People hold onto boats longer than cars IMHO. So 10 to 15 yrs later are the updates or parts going to be available. Hope so!

The computers are made specifily for MC. ECM's are mass produced for all GM motors. I can't even get a replacement glove box for my 2001.

Last edited by Redstorm; 08-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
It is true about the ECM, however It's the operating system and updates that I see going waist side, possibly. Newer cars are equipped with state of the art computers with Internet and even iPad equivalent. Manufactures are moving forward so fast the old is being left behind. People hold onto boats longer than cars IMHO. So 10 to 15 yrs later are the updates or parts going to be available. Hope so!

The computers are made specifily for MC. ECM's are mass produced for all GM motors. I can't even get a replacement glove box for my 2001.
IIRC Auto Manufacturers are required to maintain parts up to 10 years of initial production run. But has to do with potential warranty concerns. I don't know how it will affect future touch screen problems on a 15 yr old 2014 xstar, I don't know if marine manufacturers have to follow the same rules.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-19-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM

By law parts have to be available for most other products for 7 years after last production date IIRC.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I wouldn't worry so much about the law, it's all about the market and whether someone can make a buck selling replacement parts...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
By law parts have to be available for most other products for 7 years after last production date IIRC.
Seems like MC does this with interiors (I think you can get interior panels back to '06 right now), but obviously this is before they had full digital systems so it remains to be seen what will happen there.

I wish they would sell the tooling for parts for older boats like car manufacturers do; there's got to be room in the market for at least one classic boat parts warehouse operation
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about the law, it's all about the market and whether someone can make a buck selling replacement parts...
Can't sell something that's not manufactured...i.e. Carter P60987 and P60962 fuel pump...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Can't sell something that's not manufactured...i.e. Carter P60987 and P60962 fuel pump...
Why I always run my boat with a full tank of gas and sacrifice wake size
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Hey JM. I hear what you are saying. But I have to disagree. An analog gauge is not the same as a digital gauge just because it uses the same road to transmit information. I'm not saying you said that, but the OP asked what is your preference. Analog or digital? Which are two completely different systems. Digital and touchscreen systems & gauges have software information that analog does not.

ANALOG GAUGE - A display device utilizing a varying current to cause a mechanical change in the position of its needle.

The only thing I don't agree with is not calling these type gauges "real" analog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2