Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,341
You guys wanting analog gauges do realize it's still a digital signal from the ecm via mmdc or what ever CAN BUSS system is used then reports that information to a tattle tale gauge. Still all the same sensors, wires, ecm's etc. only thing different is the user interface (gauge or flat screen). You want real analog gauges go back to before the early 90's in the mastercraft world before EFI and ECM's. But I guess if a round gauge in the dash makes you sleep better....
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,728
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Interesting thread - this topic pops up over and over. James has the right direction. I like digital but I hope replacement parts will be available for us who own 10+ year old boats - in the future. i.e. will you be able to start the boat if the display goes... As technology gets cheaper - will there be a plug in replacement down the road that does not cost $5K.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Redstorm Redstorm is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Location: northwest
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
You guys wanting analog gauges do realize it's still a digital signal from the ecm via mmdc or what ever CAN BUSS system is used then reports that information to a tattle tale gauge. Still all the same sensors, wires, ecm's etc. only thing different is the user interface (gauge or flat screen). You want real analog gauges go back to before the early 90's in the mastercraft world before EFI and ECM's. But I guess if a round gauge in the dash makes you sleep better....

It is true about the ECM, however It's the operating system and updates that I see going waist side, possibly. Newer cars are equipped with state of the art computers with Internet and even iPad equivalent. Manufactures are moving forward so fast the old is being left behind. People hold onto boats longer than cars IMHO. So 10 to 15 yrs later are the updates or parts going to be available. Hope so!

The computers are made specifily for MC. ECM's are mass produced for all GM motors. I can't even get a replacement glove box for my 2001.

Last edited by Redstorm; 08-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM
j.mccreight@hotmail.com's Avatar
j.mccreight@hotmail.com j.mccreight@hotmail.com is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
It is true about the ECM, however It's the operating system and updates that I see going waist side, possibly. Newer cars are equipped with state of the art computers with Internet and even iPad equivalent. Manufactures are moving forward so fast the old is being left behind. People hold onto boats longer than cars IMHO. So 10 to 15 yrs later are the updates or parts going to be available. Hope so!

The computers are made specifily for MC. ECM's are mass produced for all GM motors. I can't even get a replacement glove box for my 2001.
IIRC Auto Manufacturers are required to maintain parts up to 10 years of initial production run. But has to do with potential warranty concerns. I don't know how it will affect future touch screen problems on a 15 yr old 2014 xstar, I don't know if marine manufacturers have to follow the same rules.
__________________
James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-19-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,728
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
By law parts have to be available for most other products for 7 years after last production date IIRC.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,547
I wouldn't worry so much about the law, it's all about the market and whether someone can make a buck selling replacement parts...
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM
JMLVMI's Avatar
JMLVMI JMLVMI is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
By law parts have to be available for most other products for 7 years after last production date IIRC.
Seems like MC does this with interiors (I think you can get interior panels back to '06 right now), but obviously this is before they had full digital systems so it remains to be seen what will happen there.

I wish they would sell the tooling for parts for older boats like car manufacturers do; there's got to be room in the market for at least one classic boat parts warehouse operation
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,728
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about the law, it's all about the market and whether someone can make a buck selling replacement parts...
Can't sell something that's not manufactured...i.e. Carter P60987 and P60962 fuel pump...
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
JMLVMI's Avatar
JMLVMI JMLVMI is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Can't sell something that's not manufactured...i.e. Carter P60987 and P60962 fuel pump...
Why I always run my boat with a full tank of gas and sacrifice wake size
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
You guys wanting analog gauges do realize it's still a digital signal from the ecm via mmdc or what ever CAN BUSS system is used then reports that information to a tattle tale gauge. Still all the same sensors, wires, ecm's etc. only thing different is the user interface (gauge or flat screen). You want real analog gauges go back to before the early 90's in the mastercraft world before EFI and ECM's. But I guess if a round gauge in the dash makes you sleep better....
Hey JM. I hear what you are saying. But I have to disagree. An analog gauge is not the same as a digital gauge just because it uses the same road to transmit information. I'm not saying you said that, but the OP asked what is your preference. Analog or digital? Which are two completely different systems. Digital and touchscreen systems & gauges have software information that analog does not.

ANALOG GAUGE - A display device utilizing a varying current to cause a mechanical change in the position of its needle.

The only thing I don't agree with is not calling these type gauges "real" analog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.