Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
How do YOU like it?

I have seen quite often on this forum, MC owners wish their boat was analog as well as computerized.

What is your preference?

Analog, Computorized or both. And why.

My thoughts are, there should be both in the event the computer fails you can override the system so your weekend/ vacation is not a complete bust.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Love my analog gauges.

Only changes I would make would be GPS Perfectpass and a volume knob on the stereo remote instead of the up/down arrows. Of course I could always add on a Wetsounds controller for that.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Love my analog gauges.

Only changes I would make would be GPS Perfectpass and a volume knob on the stereo remote instead of the up/down arrows. Of course I could always add on a Wetsounds controller for that.
Stargazer PP - Check
Wetsounds 420sq - Check
Analog gauges - Check

That's the perfect set up for me.

I like dials, I like buttons too. But some places I want dials, some places I want buttons.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
If you asked my last year I'd answer differently but I personally love the new touchscreen system in my 2013. I don't think I've looked at the analog gauges once for actually information, except maybe the RPMS on the odd occasion.

The new Murphy system works very well. And if you look at automobiles, they are ALL computerized these days, so why wouldn't boats follow.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I have always been a gadget man, but I think the analog does have it's place. The digital PP is about as far to digital as I have gone, and I like it bc it can tell you different types of information. The newer screens control everything including speed, radio, and ballast. I think that they should offer both versions, with the Digital as an option and analog Standard. This may not help with inventory, but it may knock $5-10k off the initial price I would guess. Then if you are planning on spending that much on a boat, maybe the extra $100-200 a month is no big deal to you. I am good for now with the PP digital multiline display and analog tach.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I think as the price of things like screens come down, it will be more economical to use these screens in the boats. I mean how much can a 7" touch screen actually COST mastercraft? I would guess not a whole lot, and the world is only going to more touchscreens not less so prices will only come down in time.

One nice thing I love about the new system, is if you need to balance the wake a little, you can hit the up arrow on one tank and the down arrow on the other tank, and each will fill and drain %10 respectively. No more turning on the manual ballast switch to drain or fill one side to find you forgot about it for 5 minutes and the wake is no longer even (done this on my past boats without this feature). Ya, it's minor but I sure like this feature.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
As someone who can't afford even a remotely new boat, digital worries me (as it does in cars). Both the hardware and software evolve so quickly that I worry about manufacturers supporting the older touchscreens as the years go on. If the touchscreen goes in a 2014 ProStar, how do you know your speed, ZO, etc. settings? You're cooked.

Glad that the bad guys (CC) still offer analog gauges even today with the SN200, and hope that MC will do the same.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I think as the price of things like screens come down, it will be more economical to use these screens in the boats. I mean how much can a 7" touch screen actually COST mastercraft? I would guess not a whole lot, and the world is only going to more touchscreens not less so prices will only come down in time.

One nice thing I love about the new system, is if you need to balance the wake a little, you can hit the up arrow on one tank and the down arrow on the other tank, and each will fill and drain %10 respectively. No more turning on the manual ballast switch to drain or fill one side to find you forgot about it for 5 minutes and the wake is no longer even (done this on my past boats without this feature). Ya, it's minor but I sure like this feature.
Makes sense. Is there a system that you set as, say... rider#1 and it dials in the boat (sets speed and prefered ballast etc.) with 1 touch of the screen?

I do prefer the the look of analog gauges. Just looks very clean and classy, MHO. Analog with the convenience of the computer. I think analog will always hang around. I am sure as time passes they will be comming out with some pretty nice looking computerized systems as the techno world evolves.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
As someone who can't afford even a remotely new boat, digital worries me (as it does in cars). Both the hardware and software evolve so quickly that I worry about manufacturers supporting the older touchscreens as the years go on. If the touchscreen goes in a 2014 ProStar, how do you know your speed, ZO, etc. settings? You're cooked.

Glad that the bad guys (CC) still offer analog gauges even today with the SN200, and hope that MC will do the same.
My pito's were clogged over the weekend for both analog speedo's. I was able to use the tach. And able to unclog both pito's at lunch. Your reason is why I feel the boat should have analog and manual override so when it does go down your not dead in the water.

Also, as you say, the computers will be obsolete before the boat itself. IMO.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X2
I love the 2013 Murphy system and guages. I think it is the perfect mix of tech and analog.