Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-07-2004, 02:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
Speaking of rudders...

First time poster here...great resource this forum.

I have an 82 Mastercraft powerslot. Absolutely beautiful boat and she's been treated well over years. 1200 hours thereabouts. Been on the trailer mostly for the last two years but now starting to hit the water again.

Noticed this weekend that I have a lot of play in the rudder. Side to side almost like the bushing or bearing (?) might be worn. Or, maybe a pre-load nut is loose. Obviously, I need to get in there and see what might be the problem. Boat is hard to drive - tends to snap turn a bit when coming off a corner from a left turn.

Here's the question:

Is anyone familiar with the rudder system on these early models and are there typical issues that I might expect?

I read the other rudder thread with interest and was wondering if someone might have some pointers for me before I take everything apart.

Cheers!

Jeff
Seattle WA
Old 09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome, Jeff. I'm interested in the responses you get. My father-in-law's boat has play in the steering as well. I figured the cable must be loose.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I have an 82 also.
My steering is starting to feel a little loose, but I think mine is coming from the gearing behind the dash. I hope to replace it in a year or 2 or maybe up grade to rack and pinion.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

My dash unit's a teleflex

How about yours?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
When you say side to side play, do you mean the physical rudder itself, or the steering wheel? My 84 had play in both when I bought it 5 years ago. Dealer did the actual rudder replacement so I can't tell you what's involved there. But I also had issues with the steering and what you describe as 'snap' I might have described as a jerk. What I found is that where the end of the cable is clamped to the boat in the rear (via a ball and socket type assembly) was worn. So the end would pivot with the rudder movement, but then get 'stuck' as I straightened out again because of the forces on the ball/socket. Check this out. The replacement ball and socket are inexpensive and easy to replace. Just take up the rear floor panel and look towards the back. The assembly is just before, but not under, the fuel tank. I also replaced the cable end with a new fitting and regreased the cable. Now the steering is easy and smooth.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:16 PM
TT Regular

Hi Scott,

Looks to me like the rudder has side to side play. If you grab it, it will move side to side. I need to get in there and take a look.

I'm familiar with the mechanism you've described and I don't THINK it's that. Maybe there a top nut on the thru-hull bushing that's loose or something.

454? wow...
Old 09-07-2004, 06:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Jeff,

On my ride, I also had a lot of side to side play in the rudder. The bushing was shot and the rudder shaft itself was worn and necessitated having it all replaced (rudder and bushing). I can't seem to find my repair slip, so I can't tell you what it cost me, though I'd guess about $400 for it all. The rudder was a pricey part.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
TT Regular

Thanks again Scott. I may have to do the same.

Did you purchase mastercraft parts or did you have custom items made?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:31 PM
MC Fanatic

A Mastercraft dealer did the rudder replacement and I'm presuming they used all Mastercraft parts.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:41 PM
TT Regular

Update:

Well, got in there and, much to my chagrin - it turns out that a bunch of rudder components were - - loose! The main packing nut and the locknut were both finger tight. This made for a lot of side to side slop in the assembly.

Pulled it all apart to inspect the wear on the post and thruhull and it wasn't too bad. A few small scores but not too much to worry about. Got some new teflon packing at the local supply store and put it all back together being careful to set a nice gentle preload on the post.

Also turned out that the steering cable "clamp block" was pretty well worn out at the ball joint leading to more slop. Ordered a new one at BOHICA prices from WestMarine - $90!!

I think when it get's back together it should as good as it can be for 20+ year old steering. I think I'll also stick my head under the dash and see if there are any adjustments there as well.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Jeff
82 S&S Powerslot