Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Crankshaft, rods, and cam are probably still good and can be reworked by a local rebuilder. A block and heads can be sourced pretty cheap just check around at the local yards or rebuilders. I have always had luck with the local rebuilders, they know all about marine applications in Florida. Spending your money on shipping a block across country will wipe out any savings if you have a warranty problem.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
Yeah the problem for me is even if I salvaged the innerds and stick it in a new or rebuilt block and heads , there isn't really anything salvageable or trustworthy with respect to rest of the engine, i.e. intake manifold, carb, distributor ,wire harness, both water pumps ,pullies, belts alternator, fuel pumps, hoses and other engine and marine systems. I keep adding up the component costs and its not too far off the cost of a full turn key engine with no warranty so thats what is sending me the turn key route. Talked to several marine rebuilders here and they end up about the same costs once all the bells and whistles are on it- I cant seem to make the money add up to less. I have really gone round and round on this- Would actually like to find someone who wants to upgun and sell off a low time engine but no luck.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991
Wow! Never thought I would see a boat on here that looks worse than mine! Hey at least yours came with a trailer Sounds like youre off to a great start. Take pictures while you tear stuff apart. a drill and a wire wheel does wonders for all the brass parts. Mine had barnacles growing on them they sat in salt water so long, they look almost new after some elbow grease. Looks like your hull is in great shape after a good buffing. Keep the pics coming!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I have a contact that has a built LT-1 engine. Don't know the specifics on it, but as I recall it puts out around 400hp. I will see if I can find some more info on it if you are interested.

Check out the thread for a little more info.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=built+lt-1
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 91 Maristar
Just went through the same with mine. Replaced with a 351 longblock from Rapido Marine. Read a bunch of reviews (some good, some bad). Mine was great, little trouble with shipping dates, week later than promised. $1,500 and no core charge. Motor mounts from skidim matched up perfectly. new manifolds, risers, water pumps from ebasicpower (quite a bit cheaper than skidim). Mine was very similar to yours, engine condition wise. have bunch of paperwork for parts if you need information.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Yeah the problem for me is even if I salvaged the innerds and stick it in a new or rebuilt block and heads , there isn't really anything salvageable or trustworthy with respect to rest of the engine, i.e. intake manifold, carb, distributor ,wire harness, both water pumps ,pullies, belts alternator, fuel pumps, hoses and other engine and marine systems. I keep adding up the component costs and its not too far off the cost of a full turn key engine with no warranty so thats what is sending me the turn key route. Talked to several marine rebuilders here and they end up about the same costs once all the bells and whistles are on it- I cant seem to make the money add up to less. I have really gone round and round on this- Would actually like to find someone who wants to upgun and sell off a low time engine but no luck.
Wingnut, I have a 96 ProStar w/ the 275 TBI engine. I'm considering doing a total repower so i can upgrade to Zero Off. I would be selling my motor as a complete package less the transmission. Motor was freshened up a few years ago when I installed a closed cooling system. I'm trying to dig up a picture. A complete package, probably 300+ hours since it was rebuilt. Extras include Orca closed cooling system, & Perfect Pass speed control. ECM, throttle body, wiring harness, mounts, brackets, etc all in great condition. PM me your contact info if interested.

Mike
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Wow, thats a project, The good thing is MC Hulls are pretty solid. I spent last winter agonizing through the whole dilemma of what am I gonna do with a saltwater motor, for my 209. it came with an Indmar LTR, unfortunately Indmar no longer makes the intake manifold, which made it impossible to reuse the fuel injection system which forced me to find a new solution that didn't require a new engine, fuel injection and gauge package. I got lucky and found a similar year donor boat with 200hrs and was able to just drop a donor motor and transmission in. I am extremely pleased with the supposed downgrade of going from the LTR to the 310hp Predator TBI motor.

I'd avoid michigan motors, check into Barr Marine, Florida Inboards, or start calling local marinas, and machine shops. You might get lucky.

The only argument that justifies a 10k repower is that the fuel injection will work with Zero Off speed control. And you still have to spend more $$$ to get the gauges to all play nicely.

I'd entertain the idea of buying a vortec chevy motor, have it overhauled and either put a carb on it, or buy an aftermarket fuel injection. Go buy a hot rod or car craft magazine and search through the ads, there are a ton of tuneable options. Some people might hemorrhage ar the idea of a non marine fuel injection due to fire issues. My feelings is I know my boat inside and out since I tore it down and put it back together. Before I turn the key, I lift the cover check the bilge,pull the dipsticks, check the oil levels and smell for fuel.

Your'e going to feel overwhelmed quite often, but there are numerous resources out there to get you through the problems you'll encounter. Just keep at it and when in doubt move onto another part that you know you can make progress on.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Since you are at this point, I would suggest a 6.0L instead of the 5.7. Cost would seem to be the same. Just a thought.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
Wingnut, I have a 96 ProStar w/ the 275 TBI engine. I'm considering doing a total repower so i can upgrade to Zero Off. I would be selling my motor as a complete package less the transmission. Motor was freshened up a few years ago when I installed a closed cooling system. I'm trying to dig up a picture. A complete package, probably 300+ hours since it was rebuilt. Extras include Orca closed cooling system, & Perfect Pass speed control. ECM, throttle body, wiring harness, mounts, brackets, etc all in great condition. PM me your contact info if interested.

Mike
how much for just the perfect pass?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
how much for just the perfect pass?
Sorry, not gonna part it out. Besides I'm still using it!