Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
That looks rough! Good luck on the restoration. When you get a chance, post some pics of the boat exterior.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2006, 350 MCX
Good luck, I restored an 89 ski centurion early this summer replacing the floorboards, then sold it and bought a 2006 Mastercraft X9. Be VERY happy that Mastercraft is all fiberglass!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
Pix as requested

Ok have to take my son and drop him at college so there will be a couple of day lull here. MIKEG here are the pix of the bolt holes for the front cushions. If you need it from different angle let me know. Pix of Engine (sad) and tranny and mounts as well as exterior. Dark blue areas are color once just a little elbow grease applied. It comes back nice. Again appreciate any info on anyone who has done a repower with any advice as to who to go with look at. Thanks wingnut
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Ok have to take my son and drop him at college so there will be a couple of day lull here. MIKEG here are the pix of the bolt holes for the front cushions. If you need it from different angle let me know. Pix of Engine (sad) and tranny and mounts as well as exterior. Dark blue areas are color once just a little elbow grease applied. It comes back nice. Again appreciate any info on anyone who has done a repower with any advice as to who to go with look at. Thanks wingnut
Thanks... Did not see the hangers before - Thought cushions were only held in with christmas tree plugs.. like front cushion...
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
salt water and iron - yikes... looks like hull in good shape.

what's your estimated budget on the complete restoration?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
hey maxpower 220 where you located im about 10 min from you what lakes you skiing
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
salt water and iron - yikes... looks like hull in good shape.

what's your estimated budget on the complete restoration?
New, used, rebuilt? Living in Florida has it's advantages when looking for used boat parts. Your mechanical ability and amount of time you are willing to invest in parts search and repair will greatly impact the final cost. I would toss the block and heads and go with a rebuild or used. If you buy from a rebuilder you should also factor in the core cost. I doubt a rebuilder will take that motor for a good core. If you know how to rebuild a chevy V-8 you can easily come in around a 1000 bucks for a do it yourself used motor. Just about any early 90's chevy pickup engine with throttle body injection can be converted cheaply if you have the tools and can match casting codes. Things I would go new on are the manifolds, engine water pump, transmission cooler, and flex plate.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oski89 View Post
Be VERY happy that Mastercraft is all fiberglass!
Except for the side panels. Unless they changed the panels in 98 I can almost guarantee that his panels are rotted where the speakers are. My 97 205 also sat out in the elements due to an abusive prior owner. I made new panels, sealed then with epoxy, checked for fit then delivered them to the upholstery shop.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update 8/20

Well back from dropping son off at college. Big Day. Took time to sit back and try to prioritize the next steps. So 1) had to adjust trailer ASAP cause it isn't a M/C trailer and the boat was maladjusted and boat had weight on the the front skeg as well as bout 1000 lbs on tongue weight, so plugged the rudder hole and took her to the boat ramp. Dropped her in., some leaking around shaft packing (no surprise there) and everything else held. So back on the trailer and all is now set up more correctly. 2) Spent rest of the afternoon, cleaning and stripping the rest of the stuff out. BLACK CREEK- One panels busted , one holding together. But its not very study- Will most likely cut them anew. Bought a Porter Cable buffer and started to figure out best foam pads , compound etc to use. 3) Called Viper to start the quote process for the interior. Received several endorsement and we will see if its possible. 4) Next challenge- Get the prop off, coupling separated and shaft out. Then 5) continuing to do research on the engine part. I'm pretty handy but thinking new whole shebang turn key- any suggestions are appreciated. MAXPOWER220- Sent PM to get phone number. polished the front so people will quit bugging me about how back it looks. That wasy they can see the potential. All for now.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

update 12 Sept

Havent posted for a while so heres the latest update:
Synopsis-
1) Engine- Pulled engine and as suspected its gone- Manifolds ( intake and exhaust) both ruined - Intake holes corroded- Exhaust - rusted almost closed. heads corroded - May be able to salvage, a big maybe. So after many options and adding up costs my thoughts are that I'm going to buy new Indmar from Michigan Motorz.
2) Mounts- rusted frozen- So got them all out - after three bolts breaking off- Tapped them out and cleaned up the engine compartment. New mounts inbound.
3) Tranny- Mounts gone- but tranny being gone thru and may be just seals and cleaned up- Drive plate just ripped in half in removal- Bell housing is good.
4)Drive shaft/Prop-Shaft pitted beyond repair due to galvanic corrosion, Bushings heated up and removed in pieces - Prop was sand blasted and cleaned up and is saved- (OJ 4 Blade 12x13)
5) Gelcoat- Turning out niiiice.

Next - get pieces and parts together for engine installation.
research carpet install. Still unsure about interior- Jim at Viper is the best way for sure but its an expensive endeavor- Viper is good price I'm just low on Money- looking for options , engine blew my budget to keep from being upside down. I'm thinking thru different angles- Anyone bought an after market Drivers seat ( Attwood, Wise etc??) Anyway any feedback is welcome. Later Wingnut
Attached Images