Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft ProStar 190
1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Project

I've always wanted a Mastercraft and finally found one nearby for a really good deal. Funny how it worked out because I went to by a Daihatsu mini truck which I got and then worked out a deal with the guy on this Mastercraft which I went back for the next day. Just towed it home yesterday and I don't know if it runs. For the price I paid, I was just worried about getting the registration and leaving before he changed his mind or price! lol The guy I bought it from said his family had it for 6years and ran it every Summer but had to get a bigger boat for his family. It hasn't been on the water since Summer 2013. The guy told me that it ran fine last time it was out but has sat for about a year.

Upon first looking at it, it needs new seat skins and needs to be buffed. Motor has a little over 700hrs on it and has a 4blade prop. I plan on getting it running right first and have the interior redone before Spring next year. This is a project I plan to make nice and hold on to. I have a bay boat and an aluminum jon boat but this is my first inboard. Didn't take many pics but here's what I have so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 PM
TT Regular

Does anyone have some advice on what order of things I should go through to check the engine and try to get this thing running? Really hoping it doesn't have a cracked block.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
check engine oil for water. check impeller to make sure it is all there, put a fake lake on it and turn it over and see if it goes. at that point it will be one of only a few things on this engine causing the problem

fuel, clogged filter, less likely but bad fuel pump, empty tank

air, clean your spark arrest with brake cleaner

spark, check plugs, check coil, check wires, check inside distributor cap to make sure it is not super corroded.

if none of those then it could be the points, timing or a slew of other things but i would go over the easy list first personally. These engines are pretty tough so hopefully it fires up pretty quickly.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
check engine oil for water. check impeller to make sure it is all there, put a fake lake on it and turn it over and see if it goes. at that point it will be one of only a few things on this engine causing the problem

fuel, clogged filter, less likely but bad fuel pump, empty tank

air, clean your spark arrest with brake cleaner

spark, check plugs, check coil, check wires, check inside distributor cap to make sure it is not super corroded.

if none of those then it could be the points, timing or a slew of other things but i would go over the easy list first personally. These engines are pretty tough so hopefully it fires up pretty quickly.

Thank you very much for the detailed response! I will definitely start on that in the next couple hrs when I get home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its minor issues to get it running again.

How does this cooling system work? Is there anywhere that I need to add water/antifreeze or does the water pumped in do all the cooling?

Last edited by Fit_Rick; 10-01-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
All the cooling is from the water pumped in. Remove the intake hose from the through hull fitting and clamp a garden hose to it.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
you can either get a fake a lake, basically a plunger with a hose adapter on it or look at this thread and scroll down to post 10.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=34150
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 PM
TT Regular

Thank you guys for the help. Since its late, I'll type out the details tomorrow but will leave you with this video. Had a few issues early this afternoon so had finished running new steering cables on my bay boat for the new outboard I put on. After having some time to thing about the Mastercraft, I messed with it a little more and then took the video. Details tomorrow.... Oh yeah, did these boats come with a plug at the bottom of the middle of the boat or is that something the previous owner put in himself? Drain plug is right below the water impeller. Seems to drain all the water out pretty good tho (rained today).

http://youtu.be/m86cllOIAZk
Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 PM
TT Regular

Not bad for $500 huh?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit_Rick View Post
Not bad for $500 huh?
Yes good buy, a little tlc will bring this boat back to life, yes these boats have a factory drain in the center of bilge.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Welcome!! I have the 88 version of that boat, and it's been a great journey! Hope you have as much fun as I have/am.

I'd suggest changing the impeller, rather that just inspecting it. After sitting that long, it's possible the blades have dried and cracked or have become deformed and might not move as much water as needed. It's cheap insurance. I'd also recommend going with the hose adapter to the raw water intake. I went that route, works great. There are plenty of threads here, and lots of good folks to help you out.

I'll throw another one out, my rear seat rebuild which really helped with storage.
G