Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Hours stored on meter or on engine?

Are the hours of a boat stored in the hour meter on the speedo or on the engine computer? The reason I ask is I am thinking about replacing my gauges because several of my bezels are cracked and I can also change the color for what I consider not an obscene cost. I wonder if I swap the speedo with a new one will the hours on the boat be lost?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
My understanding is both. The speedo will run the hours and the ECU will also clock the hours. Many people will take a newer boat to the dealer to have the ECU read to see if the speedo has been replaced and to see the actual hours the ECU says the boat has on it. The two should be close.

I heard of people attaching the speedo to a battery and running up the clock to match the ECU hours.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
I replaced my speedo and my hours started back at zero.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
ECU stores what the motor has recognized as hours...never go by the tach.

When we bought the 94 190, the tach said 649 hours...plugged it in at the shop and the ecu said 429 hours...radio was wired into the ignition incorrectly so 220 of non motor hours on the tach only.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Boat: 06 X30
On the newer boats, not only does the ECM, I think MEFI 4 and up, store the hours the engine was ran but it also stores the hours ran at what RPM range too.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Yep- both. Ecu can also tell how many hours at each rpm range (idling, wot, ect)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Your hour meter is on the speedometer? I've typically seen it on the tachometer and it counts hours when it detects at least 500 RPM.

Anecdotal reports are all over the place. Some say they replaced just the tach and their hours reset to 0 while some say they swapped theirs and the hour count was retained. Others say they replaced the MDC and their hours reset while others reportedly replaced the MDC and their hours were retained. I suspect that both scenarios are possible and some years counted the hours on the MDC while others counted them in the tach itself. IIRC it was the later year models that actually remembered the hours when the tach was replaced suggesting that those years likely counted hours in the MDC and just displayed them on the tach (or speedometer?)

There's a thread on here where a guy made a crude sine wave generator with common off the shelf components that simulated a 500 RPM tach signal. Then he left it on a bench running for XXX hours until it counted up to match the actual hours on the engine. I believe he had a traditional analog tach. This should work for an MDC arrangement but you'd have to inject that tach signal prior to the MDC on the gray wire.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Here are some relevant threads:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=42903
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52468
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...9&postcount=26
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
I typed speedo but I meant tach. My hour meter is on my tach and when I replaced it my hour meter showed zero.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Thanks for the info. My issue is that I noticed my bezels were cracking and so I went about last Friday adding o-rings to hopefully stop the problem. Once I get that problem stabilized/prevented from getting worse, I would like to get the bezels fixed. From what car geeks have told me that could be expensive. So I checked on Fleabay and there are sets of medallion gauges that would fit what I have. My issue is that they are not all that expensive so cost is not really a factor, but the colors are either drastically different or slightly different. I have white backgrounds and I can find light silver and very cool red ones. My kids are all for going to red because the boat is red, and I have to admit, that would look sexy. Plus getting a new set would help the boat hold value because replacement parts will get harder to find, so having them in storage now, even if they are my old used gauges would be valuable when it comes time to sell.

So if I get a new complete set of gauges and replace them I want the hours to work out right. I work with a bunch of electrical engineers so we should be able to figure out how to power up the clock on a new gauge so it matches the old one. I did not think that was possible but it sounds like it is.

I wonder why this is not clear cut? It must be that because of the number of boats made per year they have no standardized on one system.