Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-15-2005, 04:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
More Trailer Problems!!!!

I went skiing this moring and on the way home I noticed a trialer wheel did not look right, so I pulled over and found the hub was cracked.
The crack was were the outside of the hub extends out to the bearing buddy. The crack went all the way around the hub and greease was oooozzzzing all over the rim.

Has anyone ever seen this before? This was the same hub that had a bearing failure eariler this year. I am woundering if it cracked when the bearing failed and I never saw it. OR I wonder if I have a bad tire or rim that is causeing vibration and damageing the bearings/hub.

It was a very sad site seeing my baby on the flatbed towtruck to get it home!

I'll probably pull it apart tonight and post pictures if anyone has any idea what could have caused this.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
my you stressed the hub when you lost the bearing, and it finally gave way, hope all gets resolved quick!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Thats what it sounds like to me too..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 10-15-2005, 06:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Ditto Remike and MarkP.

Bummer dude!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Sorry to hear your troubles. Every outting this time of year has to be treated like the last one. At least you discovered on the way home rather than on the way to the lake. And most important, it was before something worse happened.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Sounds to me like the new bearings were installed too tight. But what do I know.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Tournament Team PS-197 LQ9
If you are concerned about the condition of the rim (damage, warped, etc.), you could take it to tire shop and have them run it on a balancing machine.

Get them to check the runout of the rim. You could do this yourself once you have the hub repaired by mounting a dial indicator to the trailer and turning the rim to measure runout (warp).

Once you've replace that hub, it is most likely that your problems will be cured.

Make certain that the tire is inspected closely.

Be sure to inspect the axle closely for any damage as well from the previous bearing failure.

Remember to use the proper preload on the bearing. I'm not sure what it is for these bearings, but there is a torque setting for the nut that should be used for optimum bearing performance/life.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Footin: Where do you boat at down there & what was the water temp? I was at the in-laws yesterday, and it seemed a bit cool, until the sun came out I guess.

Safety Review on Wheel bearings: Frequently, there is no "torque" value for the nut, unless it is a unitized (pre-set) design. You want a certain amount of "end play" after you are done. You should use the nut to sung everything up by torquing to a certain value, this makes sure the bearings are "set". After that, you back it off maybe 1/8-1/4 turn so the bearings aren't loaded (I usually go to the next open slot in the castle nut, but don't quote me on that spec). Too much or too little end play = low bearing life, among other things. This is all assuming you have a spindle w/tapered roller bearings like the 3 trailers I've had.

I would agree with the failure being related to your earlier bearing failure. You may have got things a bit hot & messed up the hub then, but never noticed. Now you are putting htt railer into colder water after running on the road, which may also affect things. Unless you see and/or feel a vibration, I would doubt the tire / wheel scenario busted the hub.

Good luck with the rapir, the weather clock is ticking....

Last edited by Ben; 10-16-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
I took it apart today and took some pictures to share. Supriseingly the bearing were still perfect, no marks or free play once cleaned up. I will replace both hubs and all bearings and save the other side for a spare.

Were should I go for new hubs? There is a Redneck trailer parts in town and I was thinking of going there.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
That is indeed a bad looking failure. I have never seen a hub do that in the years I have been trailering. I have indeed had bearing failures but that is really extreme, although it is certainly not out of the (evident) question. As previously mentioned, heat induced failure (not cyclic failure) would be my (generic) root cause analysis...

If the local woodchucks have a hub, I'd say it's probably made to the same specs as most all over-the-counter hubs are manufactured. I would think that they all have to meet min. national standards (ANSI), as such.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767