Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, 350
Driver stereo remote

The remote for the stereo beside the driver on my 06 X2 has stopped working all of a sudden. There still seems to be power to it, because when I turn on my ctsy lights it lights up but I have no control of the stereo with it. Are there any stereo gurus out there that can give me an idea as to where to start looking for the problem? I have looked behind the head unit for loose wires and cant find any. Do you know how to take the remote off to look behind or even replace it?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The lights run through a separate circuit that's wired into the dash lights. So pretty much all you're proving with the dash lights on is that the light bulb is working.

My Clarion display attaches to the opening the same as any gauge. It's a U clamp that is held in place by two nuts. Nothing fancy. You can get the installation instructions off the Clarion site in PDF format. Do a google search on Clarion Remote Installation and you'll see a link to the site. Put in your model number and go from there.

There is not much to the installation or wiring. There is a round locking connector at the radio and one at the remote. The connector seems to lock in pretty tight so I'd be surprised if it came apart if it was installed correctly.

Usually when I go after these problems I tend to try and figure out what may have changed when it quit working and then focus on that area first. Did you work on the radio? Were you working under the dash? Did you add any new features or components?

Trace the wire for the remote from the radio to the remote. Is there anyplace the wire could have been cut or rubbed on. You could also remove the remote and hook it directly to the radio without the extension which would eliminate the cable entirely. If it works you have a bad extension cable. If it doesn't you have a bad remote or bad remote circuit in the radio.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

I replaced my drivers remote with a newer version when I upgraded from the CMD4 to the CMD6. I vaguely remember taking the speaker out to help when I removed the old remote. There are a few mushroom head bolts that hold the panel in place, but it seems like the throttle kept me from being able to completely pull the panel off. I think bturner gave you the best plan of attack. Take remove the remote and by-pass the extension to eliminate the extension cable. There is a reset on the head unit-I'm assuming it's a CMD4 or CMD4a under the flip down face plate where you would insert a cd. It's a small button that you press and hold down with a pin or nail. You might give that a try before you start tearing out the remote just to see if it's something simple. I know my old CMD4 would lock up sometimes when I was using an Ipod through the Clarion Ipod adapter and I'd have to reset it or disconnect power to get it running again.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
This just gave me an idea.. is the wire for the light "accessible" or separate from the others?

That darn light is very bright and distracting when trying to drive at night. Vision is so much better when I put something over it like my HAND which is a pain or towel.

Perhaps it's not hard at all to route the remote light circuit through one of the unused switches on the dash to kill the light when desired.?..
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post
This just gave me an idea.. is the wire for the light "accessible" or separate from the others?

That darn light is very bright and distracting when trying to drive at night. Vision is so much better when I put something over it like my HAND which is a pain or towel.

Perhaps it's not hard at all to route the remote light circuit through one of the unused switches on the dash to kill the light when desired.?..
The light is wired separately from the extension so adding a switch is pretty easy. The most time consuming part will be getting access to back of remote. An hour to two hour project depending on how easily the panel comes out a goes back.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Check the remote connector on the back of the stereo and make sure it is plugged into the extension cable that goes to the remote. It is a black round plug about 5/8" diameter.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, 350
Thanks For the input!! It gives me some fresh Ideas to look at this weekend. I have checked the connector at the head unit but that is about all I could figure. Thanks again, I will keep you posted
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 SportStar
have a '99 SportStar and my Clarion driver's remote hasn't worked for a couple years. PIA. Looking around at all the new stereos and remotes I notice that most of the new remotes are 4" in diameter. Anyone mounted one of these on the dash, and if so where? The old remote is much smaller and located on far right side of dash. Diameter is 2 1/2" or so. I'll try to get a pick up.