Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
08 x1 wakeboard setup

Wondering if someone could offer up some advice on speed, line length, and ballast setup. I have the factory ballast...
We are all beginners (my 4 boys and me), me and my oldest have went w2w but that's as far as we've got. We currently are running 60' of line, and play around w the ballast (took getting use to the pop w it...), set PP at 20mph. Just trying to get opinions on the setup so we can start consistently clearing wake and get comfortable w it. I realize that riding techniques is as important as the setup, if not more, but trying to get dialed in.
Thanks for any help!
-Matt
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Wouldn't worry about ballast much until you are consistent with your w2w jumps. I would speed up to 22 and run the rope at 70'. 60' makes your setup on turn in happen really quick. If you let the line out some you'll be able to feel what's going on more.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

I will give that a try this weekend.
Thank you
Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
10' is alot to move out at once in my opinion. You may want to go to 65 and then 70

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

I started out at 70' and got the feel for it, then I shortened the rope to have a chance at clearing the wake going 20mph, so I'll give the speed an increase along with incremental changes on the rope length.
I did feel like 60' was not giving me enough time to get set up properly on the wake. It was causing some approach issues for sure.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
line length, speed, and ballast (overall boat weight) can all be considered variables.

you'll want to set the speed to where you/the rider feel comfortable. usally beginners will be slower so the baord will track better but if y'all are getting w2w this shouldn't be considered an issue.

the line length will be important in positioning the rider just in front of the wash of the wake (obviously not in the wash... just in front of the wash is the optimal place to hit the wake for firmness and size given the weighting conditions on your boat). it'll be slightly different on different boats that are weighted differently and rolling at different speeds. you'll be able to play with it and tune it in that what's normal for your setup.

just have fun with it and get comfortable. longer line gives you longer setup into the wake and obviously a wider wake to jump which results in more time in the air to do something cool. most folks ride in the 70'-75' range and this should (behind almost any decent wakeboat) give you plenty to do most any beginner/intermediate level tricks.

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 - X30
My 12 year old daughter competes at national level and she has been pulled behind virtually every boat under the sun from G-23 to X-Star to Malibu MXZ. She practice’s behind our X1 on her off time and X-Star and G-23 with her a coach. You have couple of options for X1 depending how far you want to take and how much you want to spend;
Option 1: Ideal setup for X1 - 650 lbs. Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow Sac on bow, 370lbs. Fly High Pro X Series Tube Sac in the center ski locker and 750 lbs. Fly High Pro X Series Fat Sac on the back lockers. This set up is not intrusive because all the bags are tucked under the seats and still can utilize storage space. With this setup you need to take the factory hard tanks out and replace them with soft 750 lbs. bags. It is an easy swap but requires work. This setup will allow you to surf, wakeboard and ski. X1 likes to be heavy on the bow for clean peaky wake. Next time out, try to put someone on the bow, and as the wakeboarder cutting have someone in the back seat move to the same side as they are cutting you can see immediate change in the wake. Contact wakemakers.com they are the best resource for bags and for setup.
Option 2: If you want to keep your factory tanks try putting 100 lbs. shot bags in the bow and the 370lbs. Tube Sac in the center ski locker this setup will clean up the wake at slow speeds. There are many articles on TT for setup options and installation for X1 and older generation 205V they are all the same hull and virtually same setup.
I would recommend keeping the kids at 60ft - 18 to 20 mph. W2W is a good thing when landing specially on the little knees. You want them to land softly on the ramp of the wake not on flat hard water. As they are getting better pop and better air you can up the speed to 22 and lengthen the line to 65.
Memo

2014 - X30
2007 - X1
1996 ProStar 190
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Sounds good Memo.
I was just looking at wakemaker.com and I am planning on doing some ballast upgrades this winter. Surfing will also be a need, so I am wanting to do the 750 lb bags in the rear lockers and adding some kind of system to the bow. I don't have the KGB system on mine, so I definately need something in the bow.
Thanks for the input, option 1 will be the setup that I go for.
Memo, does your boat have the KGB? I am a bit concerned on integrading bow weight into my current switches. Having everything tucked away and integrated is a big thing for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 - X30
I have the 650 lbs. Bow Sac, plus 100lbs of shot, You can never fill the bow to full capacity because seats and cup holders pop up, 370lbs. in center ski locker and 750 lbs. Fat Sac on the back lockers. I run 4 pumps with 4 custom programed timers to each bag. I can fill and drain all at the same time. If you go this route you may think new prop as well. I run ACME 1285 and very happy with it. We love the boat and this hull. She does everything well not the best but well enough to train my daughter and have family fun skiing and surfing.

2014 - X30
2007 - X1
1996 ProStar 190
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Memo. I appreciate it. Looks like we need to be trading boat colors for our state teams. lol