Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
starter not engaging

I've seen a couple threads on this topic, but most went away from the original post so I'm looking for some confirmation of the likely culprit to this problem.

I installed the Arco PM starter about 2 years ago and this summer it has occasionally (and more frequently) failed to engage with the flywheel when starting. The starter simply spins away. After 3-4 tries I'm able to get the boat to start, but most recently it also required a gentle tap on the starter with a wrench to get it to engage.

I believe the solution is simply to put some grease on the shaft to ensure the bendix slides freely. What I don't know is if the mechanics of the arco starter are any different than other starters -- i.e. is there a chance this could be electrical and not mechanical?

The reason I ask this is a friend "borrowed" my battery one weekend and when he reinstalled it, didn't tighten the terminals so I tried to start a couple times with pretty low amperage. This problem started immediately after i fixed that problem. Is there any chance that the solenoid that engages the bendix gear is the culprit?

Or do I just need to try lubing it up and find out if that works?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
If your starter is spinning, the solenoid must be working. The bendix is a mechanical thing that engages with centripital force. Grease the shaft and it should work.