Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
It looks like that plug is in the block in your picture. The plugs in my block are all good.

The plug (looks more like a flat cap) that popped out was on the side of the exhaust manifold. There are two on each manifold, but only one popped out.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAinAZ View Post
It looks like that plug is in the block in your picture. The plugs in my block are all good.

The plug (looks more like a flat cap) that popped out was on the side of the exhaust manifold. There are two on each manifold, but only one popped out.
They serve the same purpose as casting plugs, but I think they are more prone to falling out by themselves on the exhaust manifolds.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
MC Master Poster

When restarting after a skier change, and it starts running hot, is it difficult to start? Is it possible that your distributor advance is not returning all the way? If that were the case, it would run hot at idle with all the advance.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
It starts pretty easy after a skier change. Once it starts, it only takes 10-15 seconds for it to cool down to running temperature, and that is while still at idle, before it has even been shifted into gear.

I am going to check the cap and rotor tonight just to see if that may be causing some of my stuttering issues that happens occasionally. I'll check the spring then too.

EDIT: Heading home from work now, so I will see what I can find. Won't post for a couple hours until I get my home chores done. Have to keep the family (wife) happy!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAinAZ View Post
It starts pretty easy after a skier change. Once it starts, it only takes 10-15 seconds for it to cool down to running temperature, and that is while still at idle, before it has even been shifted into gear.

I am going to check the cap and rotor tonight just to see if that may be causing some of my stuttering issues that happens occasionally. I'll check the spring then too.
I have done the dance with sticking advance before and it can be a fun one if it doesn't happen every time. You might try running your blower at low speeds and opening your engine cover when stopped to try to isolate the source.

SPECIAL PRICE

Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
What is the actual temperature reading on your gauge when the boat is at idle?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
What temp t-stat did you put in? There are 2 commonly available, ~140 or ~160 degree. I put the 160 in a few years ago, had the same problem as you. Switched to the 140 and now it almost never does it. The only time it does it now is after a barefoot or WOT run, if we shut down then start back up. The "high temp" alarm will sound for a few seconds, then shut off. I chalk it up to a little heat soak and don't worry about it too much. These engines run much hotter in vehicles, so I don't think a few seconds of "hi temp" will hurt much. I think mine might hit 210 or 220, pretty mild with respect to vehicle engine temps. Now that Peter mentioned it, I should check my distributor springs as well...
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC View Post
What temp t-stat did you put in? There are 2 commonly available, ~140 or ~160 degree. I put the 160 in a few years ago, had the same problem as you. Switched to the 140 and now it almost never does it. The only time it does it now is after a barefoot or WOT run, if we shut down then start back up. The "high temp" alarm will sound for a few seconds, then shut off. I chalk it up to a little heat soak and don't worry about it too much. These engines run much hotter in vehicles, so I don't think a few seconds of "hi temp" will hurt much. I think mine might hit 210 or 220, pretty mild with respect to vehicle engine temps. Now that Peter mentioned it, I should check my distributor springs as well...
That is why I'm waiting to see if he knows the actual temperature reading at idle. He might already be on the high side (above 160) due to a small cooling issue. 15 to 20 degrees of heat soak is normal which might put him over the limit.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
That is why I'm waiting to see if he knows the actual temperature reading at idle. He might already be on the high side (above 160) due to a small cooling issue. 15 to 20 degrees of heat soak is normal which might put him over the limit.
Good point.

SPECIAL PRICE

Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
MC Master Poster

DAinAZ...have you checked the screen at the trans filter for debris?

SPECIAL PRICE

Tags
cooling, manifold, overheating, thermostat