Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Overheat after shutting off

1992 ProStar 190, Ford 351 Indmar, 1:1

Finally decided to get the boat running again. Used it once in the last 3 years. (I know, I know. What am I thinking!) Has always run perfectly in the past.

Did all the beginning of season maintenance just to be sure, since I have been located in VA for the last 3 years, instead of AZ where we were for the first 16 years of the boats life. Changed the oil, water separator, spark plugs, checked the impeller (perfect). Then had to get my old dealer to send me one of each key (A,B,C & D) because we lost the key to the boat and the face of the ignition hole is not stamped, or has rubbed off.

Started up the boat and it started to overheat. Check the thermostat, and it was old and not working. Replaced that and started it up again. The boat ran perfectly at temperature. No issues on land. This was all done with a hose connected in line between the external pickup and the raw water impeller. (This adapter was installed at the dealer 20 years ago.)

Took it out on the lake and it ran pretty good. A little carburetor problems that I need to adjust (or probably clean and/or rebuild), but still able to take the boys around the lake behind the boat.

Whenever I would stop and shut off the boat, it seemed that the engine would overheat. The only way I knew, was that after a few minutes of sitting with the boat off, (changing out skier), when I would turn the boat back on, the temperature gage would go way up and the alarm would sound for a couple seconds. Then once the engine was running for about 15 seconds, the temperature would pull right back down to where it should be and run fine.

I don't know too much about the engine and system, but willing to get my hands dirty. Could it be something with the manifold? I saw a couple threads about the manifold being clogged on the sides. I've never had anything like that off my boat, so I've never looked inside.

It runs fine when the engine is running, and therefore the raw water pump is pulling in water. But after the engine is turned off, it seems to be overheating and don't know why.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length of this post. Just wanted to make sure I gave enough background info.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
It's possible the water channels in the risers and exhaust manifolds have clogged - was it stored with the water plugs open?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
It's possible the water channels in the risers and exhaust manifolds have clogged - was it stored with the water plugs open?
No. In AZ I never had to winterize, so I messed up and didn't winterize here. I know now that I need to, but I had it in a garage for the first 2 winters. Last winter it sat outside.

Being a newbie I'm not sure what the water plugs are. I did notice when I opened it up this year, that one of the black caps on the side of the manifold was off. I picked it up and tapped it back into place. I guess I should have looked at that point inside the hole, but didn't think about it then.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM

I would check all of them - they also need RTV when they are placed back in... I would inspect the block carefully. Also the plugs I mean are in the rear of the exhaust manifolds and on the sides of block. If you never drained - the water jacked may be plugged up.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
TT Regular

I'll put some RTV on the cap that came off, if I can get it off again. It seemed to fit pretty tight and snug when I tapped it back in.

Any possibility of getting a photo of where the plugs are on the sides of the block? I'll check the plugs on the exhaust manifold. Any thing in particular that I should be looking for when I take out the plugs? What should I expect?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
My bet is a worn impeller not flowing enough water at idle, but the boat movement is providing adequate water flow.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM

I don't have a Ford engine but look for brass fittings.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
My bet is a worn impeller not flowing enough water at idle, but the boat movement is providing adequate water flow.
Impeller is perfect. Soft and flexible with no nicks, cuts or tears. It keeps perfect temp when it is idling. It is only AFTER the engine is shut off that it starts to heat up. Makes me think there is a leak somewhere that air is getting in allowing the water to flow out of the system. Maybe?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I don't have a Ford engine but look for brass fittings.
I checked some other threads for winterizing and was able to see some pics of the plugs on the manifolds. I assume the ones on the block look similar in configuration.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAinAZ View Post
No. In AZ I never had to winterize, so I messed up and didn't winterize here. I know now that I need to, but I had it in a garage for the first 2 winters. Last winter it sat outside.

Being a newbie I'm not sure what the water plugs are. I did notice when I opened it up this year, that one of the black caps on the side of the manifold was off. I picked it up and tapped it back into place. I guess I should have looked at that point inside the hole, but didn't think about it then.
If a frost plug popped out, you may be dealing with a cracked block. Did it look something like this?

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com

Tags
cooling, manifold, overheating, thermostat