Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
No Boat Buddy

I know this is just a prototype, but no boat buddy? The more I see it, the more I'm getting use to the nose too. I also like less material that will eventually get cracks in it.
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Our dealer had an event in Grand Rapids where we got to ski the new boat on Sunday. They brought the two exact boats from the Calgary facebook photos out to a private ski lake and had pros show us around the boat and drive for us. Karen Truelove was our host in the boat with the red deck. She was an absolute sweetheart and very patient as we worked in a tour of the 2014 ProStar around my 4 month old son's demands for attention.

Having seen it on Facebook and Balls of Spray, I knew what to expect and the boat didn't disappoint. The interior is typically great Mastercraft quality, despite not being 100% finished yet. The new gunwale ski rack is super easy to operate and very convenient. Ditto for the digital helm and ZeroOff controls. At 96" wide, it's the same outside width as my PS214. It looks like they used the same exact observer seat from the 214 (not a bad thing!) and then added even more seating in front of the post with the jump seat. The flat fold into the walk-through is really nice. The narrower gunwales end up creating more interior space, even with the non-production engine cover that was 4" wider than the final piece is meant to be. This boat will have all kinds of room inside.

Dual rear seats and another walk-through are clever. The dual rear storage compartments look to be about the perfect size for a 12 pack and ice, hrmm...

The available color combinations are enough to make your head spin. It's going to take a couple hours on the build-a-boat to sort out just which bit and pieces one wants which color. There are certainly some fairly intricate patterns are possible. There is also supposed to be a two-point tower available that installs at the triangular pads almost in line with the pylon. This shouldn't get in the way of short line skiers and I can't see getting a modern boat for family use without a tower.

The biggest thing we miss is the rear facing lounge seat behind the driver in the 214. This was the best seat in the house for when we had friends/family on board. If Mastercraft can resurrect that, this boat becomes a home run in our book.

Oh yeah, the wake. Easy to forget because there ain't much to remember.

-15/30mph, NOTHING, pretty much like the SN200 and TXi. I should have taken more passes here because it felt soooooo easy and clean.

-22/30mph, much improved over all older MC boats, on par with the SN200 here and definitely nicer than the TXi. If you're a hack like me, you can still screw this up if you flatten out the ski completely and make it hop a bit, but it's less painful than before. If you stay on edge clean, you don't feel any bump, more like the rumble strip mentioned before.

-15/32mph, just a cleaner version of 30mph wake at the same length. I'm not used to ZeroOff yet, so getting a different pull at the buoy made more difference than the wake to me. That's a pretty good compliment to the wake I suppose.

18-21mph (wakeboard speed), well... bring some ballast. Then get more ballast, you'll need it. There really isn't a defined lip at all with the boat at slalom weight. There was some talk of adding a wedge, gate, or some other widget to improve the trick wake. I can completely see how it's necessary. If it were an option, I'd get it and bring a couple fatsacs too for the times when I'm not on the course. The upside to this is that teaching new skiers or wakeboards becomes very friendly wake-wise as they have nothing to be afraid of back there at low speed.

So my challenge to MC and my dealer: Find me one in Canadian Blue Metal Flake with bow seats, the tower, wedge/gate, and a rear facing lounge seat behind the driver and it becomes an easy sell as a killer slalom boat that is cleverly disguised as a family friendly platform. Checking those boxes would make me forget all about the 200 and TXi.

Thanks again to Action Water, Mastercraft, and Karen for having us out and humoring a non-pro skier with a family who still appreciates a great wake.

~Greg
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Greg, great analysis and love to hear about 1st hand experience. It sounds like there is more room in the main area which is nice. How is the seating up front and is it still similar to the 197? I noticed the max capacity is still at 7 compared to the 200's 9 passengers....I wish they were able to boost the seating capacity with this new one somehow.

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Up front seating is HUGE. I have a PS214, and the new ProStar has MORE seating up front. Basically, it's like having an additional jump seat in the front cockpit of a 214. Three grown men can easily fit up front without being cramped at all. So if you have a morning/evening hardcore ski group of four, you can travel in comfort all the time since the racks keep the floor clear of skis and nobody is squished on the observer seat.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 99 Maristar 210 with 2005 MC Tower
Here is a picture from our Grand Rapids session behind the new ProStar! Definitely a big improvement and a big thank you to Mastercraft and Action Water Sports!
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 99 Maristar 210 with 2005 MC Tower
One more
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
I don't care what anybody says, this looks to be a great boat.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I just noticed from this picture, but is there really a bend in the rub rail? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me with the gel lines?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I just noticed from this picture, but is there really a bend in the rub rail? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me with the gel lines?
There's a bend Doug. Your eyes are doing just fine.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Based on the comments it's pretty easy to see why the 214DD was dropped.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.