Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
Easty, this does have some validity for sure...but I would be concerned about the gell coat getting dinged or scratched up pretty easily?.... Everything you store up front would need to be in a padded bag ? I think some snap in carpet for that area may be a good idea? Something to protect the gell coat in the storage area?

Also, no one has addressed my heater core question? Where would the heater core mount? Where would the venting go? I live in Michigan.. my boat NEEDS to have a heater!!

The good news is.. I am going to get a chance to see the new Prostar this Monday...some of these questions will get answered...the bad news is I'm not sure how anything can be better than my '97 PS190... it does everything I need it to do...and its PAID for... ahh.. '97 .. it was a good year haha!

I think the new design is interesting and has potential...but it just raises so many questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
As a closed bow die hard, I can see a practical advantage of this setup. In short, it is hinged at the front. So you open the windshield, lift the bow and deposit or withdraw whatever gear you need. I can store a lot in the closed bow of my boat. But retrieving that vest that is stuffed up under the nose can be tricky without removing everything else. In this configuration, you loose a little storage for the seat pedestals, but you gain ease of access.

Just an observation from another CB purist.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Why a tower... no wake
I just can't see having a family boat these days without one.
1) Beginners like learning from the tower on one or two skis.
2) Wakeboarding beginners actually prefer a small wake
3) Intermediate wakeboarding should still be possible. With sufficient ballast, you can board behind just about anything as proven by all the 17' I/Os I keep seeing on the lakes.
4) Storage of boards/skis on the tower is handy and keeps the bow or aisles clear.
5) Mounting the bimini on the tower means more head room and less forehead bruises.
6) Permanently mounted anchor/transom light location so you don't need to fish out the pole.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
I just can't see having a family boat these days without one.
1) Beginners like learning from the tower on one or two skis.
2) Wakeboarding beginners actually prefer a small wake
3) Intermediate wakeboarding should still be possible. With sufficient ballast, you can board behind just about anything as proven by all the 17' I/Os I keep seeing on the lakes.
4) Storage of boards/skis on the tower is handy and keeps the bow or aisles clear.
5) Mounting the bimini on the tower means more head room and less forehead bruises.
6) Permanently mounted anchor/transom light location so you don't need to fish out the pole.
New prostar I believe not the right boat for a family.. for all around sport boating - as soon as boarders get better they will want more boat.. I say X15 for all around boating... or X14V less expensive.. But I agree with all of the above...
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flya750 View Post
Easty, this does have some validity for sure...but I would be concerned about the gell coat getting dinged or scratched up pretty easily?.... Everything you store up front would need to be in a padded bag ? I think some snap in carpet for that area may be a good idea? Something to protect the gell coat in the storage area?

Also, no one has addressed my heater core question? Where would the heater core mount? Where would the venting go? I live in Michigan.. my boat NEEDS to have a heater!!

The good news is.. I am going to get a chance to see the new Prostar this Monday...some of these questions will get answered...the bad news is I'm not sure how anything can be better than my '97 PS190... it does everything I need it to do...and its PAID for... ahh.. '97 .. it was a good year haha!

I think the new design is interesting and has potential...but it just raises so many questions...

You realize that the heater was available in 197's, right?

How is it more difficult to mount a heater in this boat compared to a 197? Its not, there will be a heater, you are being ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Anybody who needs a heater period is ridiculous! You old softies you!

Jk...
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
New prostar I believe not the right boat for a family.. for all around sport boating - as soon as boarders get better they will want more boat.. I say X15 for all around boating... or X14V less expensive.. But I agree with all of the above...
The only problem I see there is that both the X15 and X14v have BRUTAL wakes for those just beginning to learn the course. They end up afraid of the wake and learning bad habits and a defensive stance that often leads to a series of painful OTF's.

I guess it begs the question (that will make the shortline purists puke): What kind of wake can be made behind the new ProStar at ~20mph with the right ballast? I know there was some discussion about them looking for a solution for the trick wake (~17mph), which should carry over to learning wakeboarders too. It will be interesting to see if they offer some sort of wedge/gate/gizmo to instantly change the wake characteristics at lower speeds.

If your family is confidently wakeboarding at 23mph, then you're probably not honestly shopping a "good" (direct drive) slalom boat in the first place.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yes.. I imagine the 197 has a heater core option.. but we are not talking about the 197 are we? Keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post

How is it more difficult to mount a heater in this boat compared to a 197? Its not, there will be a heater, you are being ridiculous.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

I made changes to my LT1 heater setup and it now blows hot air all the time... instead of the way it use to work.. which would blow warm air only when running high rpm. This recent heater upgrade/fix has absolutely changed my boating... night boat rides, extending the boating season.... The heater is a life savor in Michigan.. PERIOD! And I didn't even mention how much the ladies and kids love the heater!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
Anybody who needs a heater period is ridiculous! You old softies you!

Jk...
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post

My 197 has a heater, I've never used besides after I first got it to see if it worked. Plenty of heat in Texas for most of the year.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well if I lived in Texas the heater would be a moot point.. .and in a 197.. I imagine the heater core would take up precious storage area...so if not needed.. why have it?

I don't care where the heater core is mounted in a 197.. so I won't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
My 197 has a heater, I've never used besides after I first got it to see if it worked. Plenty of heat in Texas for most of the year.