Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Boating Accident

My buddy shot me a text the other day telling me that he had just witnessed a boating accident between a 20' Sea Ray and an older pontoon. Apparently, the guy driving the Sea Ray somehow did not see the pontoon and ran into his port side bow like a ramp, tearing up all the seating on the left side of the boat. Thankfully, there was not anyone sitting on that side of the boat and nobody was hurt. The guy driving the pontoon was understandably upset, while the guy driving the Sea Ray just shrugged it off and said I have insurance, so don't worry. Not sure if alcohol was a factor or what, but my guess is the guy was simply not paying attention. It is just scary when I see people like this on the water. It almost makes me think twice about wanting to teach my wife to drive the boat as I would not want her to ever be caught on either end of a situation like that.

I explained this to my dad who also has a pontoon, used to be in the navy and drove an aircraft carrier, so needless to say he knows the rules of the water. He is the one that has taught me through the years. He came back with this story from his ride this past weekend.

"We went for a ride Saturday and a “kid” in an older MC (?) kept bearing down on us coming from my left. I finally had to cut the throttle. As he passed close across my bow, I threw up my hands to him. Mom shook her fist. I told her not to do that; that he was just being stupid and that I think I had already made my point. But he actually looked like he didn't have a clue and didn't even realize he had done something wrong. I really believe that had I kept on the throttle, he wouldn't have responded correctly and we would have been hit really hard. Not the way I want to trade up. Thinking back on it, I wish I had hit him with my air horn as he crossed my bow."

I hope that "kid" was not any of you. Add to that the waverunner they saw pulling a huge tube with five people on it... Unfortunately there are probably more of those types of boat drivers out there than those that know any better. Please stay safe out on the water.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
The other day we saw 2 Seadoos racing each other Pulling tubes, 2people each, no spotter, wearing street clothes weaving in and out boats! Oblivious to the the effen world!!!! Still pissed ...I'm stuttering!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

In California you cannot have any more people on the tube than you can put on the waverunner in case the tube sinks or someone gets hurt. Since you also need a spotter that means only one person on the tube. That also means you need at least three person waverunner to do any towing.

David Sword
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yup! Wanted to slap the $&it outta them!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
The other day we saw 2 Seadoos racing each other Pulling tubes, 2people each, no spotter, wearing street clothes weaving in and out boats! Oblivious to the the effen world!!!! Still pissed ...I'm stuttering!
Man, that is badarse - redneck tube racing.... I'd like to see this in person

Maybe USAWS can sanction a new event/sport with this
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
My buddy shot me a text the other day telling me that he had just witnessed a boating accident between a 20' Sea Ray and an older pontoon. Apparently, the guy driving the Sea Ray somehow did not see the pontoon and ran into his port side bow like a ramp, tearing up all the seating on the left side of the boat. Thankfully, there was not anyone sitting on that side of the boat and nobody was hurt. The guy driving the pontoon was understandably upset, while the guy driving the Sea Ray just shrugged it off and said I have insurance, so don't worry. Not sure if alcohol was a factor or what, but my guess is the guy was simply not paying attention. It is just scary when I see people like this on the water. It almost makes me think twice about wanting to teach my wife to drive the boat as I would not want her to ever be caught on either end of a situation like that.

I explained this to my dad who also has a pontoon, used to be in the navy and drove an aircraft carrier, so needless to say he knows the rules of the water. He is the one that has taught me through the years. He came back with this story from his ride this past weekend.

"We went for a ride Saturday and a “kid” in an older MC (?) kept bearing down on us coming from my left. I finally had to cut the throttle. As he passed close across my bow, I threw up my hands to him. Mom shook her fist. I told her not to do that; that he was just being stupid and that I think I had already made my point. But he actually looked like he didn't have a clue and didn't even realize he had done something wrong. I really believe that had I kept on the throttle, he wouldn't have responded correctly and we would have been hit really hard. Not the way I want to trade up. Thinking back on it, I wish I had hit him with my air horn as he crossed my bow."

I hope that "kid" was not any of you. Add to that the waverunner they saw pulling a huge tube with five people on it... Unfortunately there are probably more of those types of boat drivers out there than those that know any better. Please stay safe out on the water.
IIRC, a boater that's overtaking another is supposed to use their horn to alert the other. The kid needs a lot of things- a boater safety course and a boot in the arse, among them.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Man, that is badarse - redneck tube racing.... I'd like to see this in person

Maybe USAWS can sanction a new event/sport with this
Actually...no $#it! All padded out trying to knock off the other tuber prior to the finish line.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsword View Post
In California you cannot have any more people on the tube than you can put on the waverunner in case the tube sinks or someone gets hurt. Since you also need a spotter that means only one person on the tube. That also means you need at least three person waverunner to do any towing.

David Sword
I think thats true in most places. The problem is, laws are only as good as the enforcement. I know on our lake, the officers are stretched way too thin (despite the gripes many have with them). Until there's an incident, or an officer happens to see something, people can break all the laws they want and about all a safe, knowledgeable boater can do is throw up their hands
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
I'm glad we have two lakes by us that prohibit jet skis and pulling tubes. It is so nice to be able to go out on the weekend and its just the true boaters (MC and CC boats mostly) who for the most part know what they are doing. Now the other lake by us, that is a whole mother story. I have been a boater my whole life and we went on a Sunday afternoon early this summer and I was afraid of someone running into us let alone put someone in the water.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 2008 X-1
A couple of weeks ago I was out on Eldorado lake, which is pretty close to Wichita and gets a fair amount of traffic on the weekends. My son was getting ready to wakeboard, and was standing on the swim deck. Boat off, ski flag up. Some gal driving a runabout came by us real close, and real fast. She then proceeds to make a turn around us. I was giving her my best stink eye stare, when I realized she was pulling an empty tube that was not going to make the corner, it was going to hit us.

My son jumped back in the boat, and I yelled (she was definitely in shouting range) "your gonna hit my f&$%ing boat!" She shut it down, but the tube hit the back of my boat, sending a large wall of water over the stern. That's when I let loose with a bunch of "f" bombs. Her friend told me I didn't have to be such a d*&@ about it. I told her they almost hurt my kid and I got a boat full of water, and they should go pick up their rider before someone hits him. The rider was an adult male, who I assume owned the boat. I expected him to come over for some words, but they packed it in and left.

If I had seen them at the launch, I probably would have apologized for the language, but told them a very crowded lake, right by the dam, is not a good place to learn to drive. And you might just consider shutting down when someone falls, and slowly turning around. Closest I've come to a bad accident.