Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
2006 X1 died while pulling a wakeboarder

I have a 2006 X1. It has run perfectly all summer. I was pulling a wakeboarder Saturday afternoon and the boat died. I was trying to get the speed control to lock in and I had just let off the throttle a little bit, but then it would not rev back up. I was not making a turn or anything. I had at least 90% full tank, and I do not run the tank with low fuel. The engine temp was right at 160 degrees.

I didn't have any tools with me (I know dumb right?) so I pulled a plug wire to see if there was spark. Yes there was spark, so I'm assuming that all my kill switches and stuff are working. I also put my head next to the fuel pump, and I can hear it priming up when the key is turned on. The boat turned over great, but would not ever fire a lick.

First thing to check????
Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Check fuel pressure first
Old 08-05-2013, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I was on a friend's 2006 X-2 when pretty much the same thing happened. Problem turned out to be the fuel pump. I would check it first.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
TT Regular

Checked the pressure on the fuel rail.... ZERO. Then I pulled the line off the fuel pump and it was barely a trickle. I thought... dang $350 dollars for a new freakin pump. I had a friend over at O'Reilly and we went into the back and just started pulling fuel pumps out of boxes. Finally found a fuel pump for a 1989 Ford Thunderbird for $72 and it's almost identical! Everything was the same except it was a half inch shorter. Put it back together and it started right up. Sorry I got excited and forgot to take pics of the pump, but it was almost identical. 60 PSI at fuel rail. About an hours worth of work and only $72!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Fuel pump 101 thread has an airtex replacement that fits well
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM
TT Regular

OK so after running the boat for 2 weekends I have more issues with the engine. I didn't have a new fuel filter when I changed the pump last weekend, so I just used the old one. The boat ran ok, but it was difficult to start, and difficult to come off idle. I figured it was the fuel filter so I ordered one and tried to install it saturday. IT WOULD NOT GO ON. I tried everything, rubber mallet, leverage, weight. I looked exactly like the old one and I had 9 other people waiting, so I just took out the filter and ran filterless for the day. It seemed to run ok at first, but once we filled the ballast and started wakeboarding I just wasn't getting full power. Then later in the day (when I was wakeboarding of course) the boat just died going 22 mph. I finally got it started and we limped back because it would only go 20 mph. I checked the fuel pressure this morning and it was 60 psi on the fuel rail. What's the deal????

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
What did you do with the hose that goes on the fuel pump? Is it damaged, does it have a small hole it in it? Might replace that hose with the rubber hose and 2 hose clamps that came with the new pump.....