Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 10-14-2005, 09:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Does anyone have a backseat

Does anyone have a backseat for a 79 S&S they want to get rid of? Thought I would try to buy one before I try to build one. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
I tried to find a back seat last year but had no luck. I ended up building one that worked out fine. Here's a picture. Let me know if you want any details.

Bruce
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
MC Fanatic

That looks like a pretty intricate back seat for a do-it-yourselfer. How hard was it, and who did the skins? I don't actually know what the original seat in a 79 looks like.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'd never really built a piece of furniture before and it wasn't that tough to do. I had a guy in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) do the skins. He did the entire boat. I built the seats etc. and then he supplied and installed the foam and vinyl for $1,500.00 (Canadian). I have the seat out of the boat right now and could take some pictures of how it is constructed if you want. The only tricky part was the curves on the insides of the corners. I thought I could build 90* corners and the curve would be done with foam but that's not the case. I had to build the curve using a mahogany doorskin and bending it in place. I also had a hard time deciding how much room to leave underneath the seat for storage. I left 5 1/2 inches so that bumpers, life jackets, ropes etc. can be stored under the seat. That's fine, but it makes the seat back a bit too short. If I do it again I will make the seat back at least one inch longer and sacrifice some storage underneath.

Let me know if you want pictures.

Bruce
Old 10-14-2005, 05:29 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I recently built a jump seat after ordering the replacement skins from MC. Using the seam dimensions, I worked backwards. Doesn't apply directly to your situation, but it worked well to get me in the ballpark on measurements and contours.
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:30 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
I had one for a 197!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-14-2005, 05:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
I would also like to see how you constructed the back seat, and what materials you used. I don't have a back seat in my '76, but would really like to have one

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. My digital camera is in for repairs, but I may be able to pick it up today. If so I will take some shots. I just used 2X2's, plywood and then the Mahogany doorskin for the curves. I gave it all a couple coats of sealant prior to the upholstery work being done. It sits off the floor a bit so it stays dry and will last a long time. Some people are scared of wood projects due to the possibility of rot, but if you look after them they should last as long as the boat.

Hopefully I will have some pictures on Monday if you are still interested.

Bruce
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
MC Fanatic

M-funf...that is exactly what my 79 looks like, I think that no backseat in these old S&S's are pretty common.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
M-funf...that is exactly what my 79 looks like, I think that no backseat in these old S&S's are pretty common.
Yeah, but when I'm cruising with more than 2 other people in the boat, it would be nice to have a back seat for passengers...

I'm thinking about making something that can be removed easily, maybe as simple as a thick upholstered pad on the floor and a seatback that snaps to the inside lip of the hull somehow. That way, I could take it out and leave it on shore while skiing...

Edit: Richard, do you have an upholstered engine cover in the '79?

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit

Last edited by M-Funf; 10-17-2005 at 02:54 PM.