Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2007
Upholstery online supplier recommendations

Hi,

I need to do a full reupholster for my 2007 Mastercraft. I plan on buying the fabric online and have a local upholsterer to do the job. Would you recommend a good quality online fabric supplier?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM
TT Newbie

2007 X2
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MES View Post
Hi,

I need to do a full reupholster for my 2007 Mastercraft. I plan on buying the fabric online and have a local upholsterer to do the job. Would you recommend a good quality online fabric supplier?
You might want to ask the local shops if they're willing to do this with you providing the materials. One reason a shop may carry certain fabrics is because of the workability- some fabrics are A) not suited for seat cushions, B) a royal PITA to work with (they don't conform to complex shapes well, if at all) and C) aren't very durable, even though they may be sold as such. You won't know any of these until you get the material and a good shop will be able to find something because they meet with manufacturers and reps to learn about new products (which change constantly, sometimes because the EPA mandates what chemicals can be in these materials- the upholstery problems from 2001-2004 are a great example of this).
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Newbie

Actually I am not in the US, and the fabrics I can find here are not marine grade. I have seen cushions made by this local shop 2 years ago, and while the workmanship is very good, the vinyl has cracked and discolored in many locations. So I am obliged to import a good quality marine grade vinyl
Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Actually I am not in the US, and the fabrics I can find here are not marine grade. I have seen cushions made by this local shop 2 years ago, and while the workmanship is very good, the vinyl has cracked and discolored in many locations. So I am obliged to import a good quality marine grade vinyl
Your location shows 'Northeast', but not Northeast where, so I had no way of knowing. This would be a helpful detail to provide. Where are you located?

The best way to avoid cracking is keeping it out of direct Sunlight as much as possible. While it's true that marine vinyl has UV inhibitors, it can still be damaged if exposed.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Interestingly enough when I just had my ski-locker cushions reupholstered the other day here is OZ, the guy said the US grade stuff is top notch now. They import and use it on the brand new MATRIX boats here in OZ. Where abouts are you, your location says NY? Have Fun......
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
Interestingly enough when I just had my ski-locker cushions reupholstered the other day here is OZ, the guy said the US grade stuff is top notch now. They import and use it on the brand new MATRIX boats here in OZ. Where abouts are you, your location says NY? Have Fun......
The new stuff is top notch because they have now had enough time to work with the chemical formulations and the EPA doesn't give enough advance notice of the changes.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM
TT Newbie

I am in Cairo, Egypt. I have a shipping address in Springfield Gardens NY and I do not remember why I put that address when I joined this forum few years ago.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I am in Cairo, Egypt. I have a shipping address in Springfield Gardens NY and I do not remember why I put that address when I joined this forum few years ago.
I don't know if they ship internationally, but I use materials from this company-

http://www.duboisfabrics.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM
TT Newbie

I can have them ship to my NY shipping address, which is a courier address, and then it will automatically get shipped to me. Do you recommend any of their marine vinyl lines? perhaps a good match to the original Mastercraft vinyl texture?