Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-25
Oil Change question

Do you guys change oil at the end of season? I am 10 hours shy of change and wondering if I change early, do I also need to change it in mid Sept for end of season winterization? Thanks in advance!

Packman
Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
It depends upon how many hours you put on it after the oil change. If it's just a handful, then no big deal. If you use your boat a lot, then you probably ought to change it again before winterization.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
oil and filter is cheap. and engine is not.....change it.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
The end of the season change is to remove the acids that build up in the oil during operation. If you only want to change the oil once, I think you would be better off running the oil you have in there an extra 10-20 hours than you would leaving used oil in there all winter.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by packman312 View Post
Do you guys change oil at the end of season? I am 10 hours shy of change and wondering if I change early, do I also need to change it in mid Sept for end of season winterization? Thanks in advance!

Packman
To me it is a better plan to change the oil a little earlier in the season and once again at the end of the season. I've already did my first oil change for the season as I was getting near the end of the interval and we were taking the boat on vacation. I did not want to change the oil mid vacation nor did I want to run over the interval. Now I'm 20 some hours into the current oil. Since we typically run through October and sometimes into November there is a chance I will be changing the oil three times this year. As already mentioned, oil and filter are not expensive if doing your own oil changes.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
To me it is a better plan to change the oil a little earlier in the season and once again at the end of the season. I've already did my first oil change for the season as I was getting near the end of the interval and we were taking the boat on vacation. I did not want to change the oil mid vacation nor did I want to run over the interval. Now I'm 20 some hours into the current oil. Since we typically run through October and sometimes into November there is a chance I will be changing the oil three times this year. As already mentioned, oil and filter are not expensive if doing your own oil changes.
Very good point. Cheap way to make the engine last.

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I like having clean oil in my engine over winter. I change it before the last trip of the season ( or change it and run the engine up to temp) to fully circulate the clean oil, then I feel better all winter long.

I suppose that, technically, the best approach would be to change the oil, then crank the engine with the plugs pulled for 30 seconds or so to get clean oil to all the bearing without any combustion by-products, then put new plugs in and call it done, but that's far too MCOCD for me.

/frank
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
I like having clean oil in my engine over winter. I change it before the last trip of the season ( or change it and run the engine up to temp) to fully circulate the clean oil, then I feel better all winter long.

I suppose that, technically, the best approach would be to change the oil, then crank the engine with the plugs pulled for 30 seconds or so to get clean oil to all the bearing without any combustion by-products, then put new plugs in and call it done, but that's far too MCOCD for me.

/frank
You may be on to something, as long as the fuel is shut down. Do-able on an injected boat......not so simple on a boat with a carb.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
You may be on to something, as long as the fuel is shut down. Do-able on an injected boat......not so simple on a boat with a carb.
Actually, it's probably easier on a carb boat. With the plugs pulled, almost all the intake air will come through the plug hole, meaning air with no gas in it. With no air flowing through the carb, no gas will get into the manifolrd. With an injected boat, you should probably pull the lanyard to disable the injectors; otherwise gas will get injected into the manifold (for TBI) regardless of the air flow.

/frank
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Actually, it's probably easier on a carb boat. With the plugs pulled, almost all the intake air will come through the plug hole, meaning air with no gas in it. With no air flowing through the carb, no gas will get into the manifolrd. With an injected boat, you should probably pull the lanyard to disable the injectors; otherwise gas will get injected into the manifold (for TBI) regardless of the air flow.

/frank
Not sure if I agree on most of the intake air coming through the plug hole on a carb boat. With the small proportionate size of the plug hole compared to the intake valve, probably only 1/3 of the intake air would come through the plug hole. Now if you held a towel over the throat of the carb, that should make virtually all of the air come through the plug hole.