Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X30 SS - Delivery this wkend!
G23 port side wake (NSS at 5 & 3, full ballast - 2800lbs), then X30 Goofy (starboard and coffin ballast)....sorry didn't have same side for both
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.8nWdVC.MOV (1.15 MB, 187 views)
File Type: mov trim.MUcQkF.MOV (4.87 MB, 126 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
Here's an entertaining thread on your topic

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797401

I also demoed both boats and had a very slight tussle with the decision.
Admittedly we surf 90% of the time so wakeboard wake was not of paramount importance. Also I did not get to weight the G23 on the demo the way I wanted and there was no NSS on the boat. (I could care less about NSS because I don't want to haul double the weight and we have no goofy riders).
Anyway, I think with proper weighting the G23 would have had a comparable surf wave to the properly weighted X30, and the G23 is a beautiful boat and I actually somewhat preferred its finish out and styling. However, it was no where close to 27k worth of better!

You can read through the above thread on wakeworld and see some more of my thoughts on the two.

In the end the X30 had a better surf wave and costs 27k less for comparably equipped boats in my market here in Texas.

As far as the 230. I haven't been behind one, but they aren't exactly know as great surfers, but who knows about a 2014. I would demo it for sure.

Here's X30 surf shot:

Here is the G23 I demoed:

Here is its stock ballast wave. Looks nice and clean, but with stock ballast had a really short pocket. I suspect pocket length would correct just dandy with proper weight:
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Wake board wakes...red is X30
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.tBNweZ.MOV (1.51 MB, 105 views)
File Type: mov trim.jNSWN4.MOV (1,016.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Boat: X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
Test drove both today...Both very different rides and TOTALLY different wakes. X30 was significantly cheaper... Any opinions? I'd really like to hear what you guys know or have heard. This will be my first boat and focus will be on surfing as much as boarding.
Thnx!
DHPRO -

If there are any questions that we can answer for you, please let us know. For sure you have good taste to be looking at either a MasterCraft or G23. Of course, we are impartial here at MasterCraft but we think for good reason. If you want someone at MC to chat with you, please let me know and I will work to arrange that.

Kudos for doing your homework...

Jason
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

One thing about the G that caught my eye was how tall the boat is...maybe better ocean boat, less chance of swamping?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I put 200 hrs this year on my X30. I can give you my opinion but, I think you're doing exactly what I would do again.

Try them both more with more ballast and surf them with the same board. I'd add the new 230 and X46 to the shopping cart.

I've been very happy with the surf wave and adjustability for various riders.

Some things we've done that I didn't expect:

1. Smaller kids like to boogie board and kneel on a surf board instead of surf. They end up roughly 25-40ft behind the boat based on their weight, skill and the board they use ...

2. Friends that are use to other wakes on other boats take about 3 - 4 runs to get use to the pocket. They start pumping and end up adjusting their feet to the back of the board. The push is like cheating and they don't expect it ... as another example, 100% of our riders let go of the rope, often within 2-3 tries.

3. Switching sides is managed by the ballasts. We don't have surf tabs and really haven't had trouble timing the draining while surfing and switching without losing more than a minute or two. I should admit that the super sacr and piggy back system help and I'm in the middle of adding two sac to sac transfer pumps.

4. The 30 doesn't need much or any ballast to surf. Get a few people to one side and you're golden. We add a lot of ballast because it just gets better and better with weight.

This is about 80% sac'd

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375637399.556155.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  38.1 KB

Tuning would be faster with the G, but also keep the costs in mind... As I understand it the price delta is significant. The fuel consumption is also higher by a fair margin. I hear the handling isn't bad, but by comparison, the 30 does handle great.

The 30 was MC's first surf boat and I'd call it an instant success and would place it on the podium with any other vendor in the space (even with NSS and surf gate and ram fill and switch blades, later not used anymore) . Suspect that 2 yrs later, the 46 might have a leg up on it, but haven't tried one yet.

As for the G23 or 230 (new one) I'd understand the costs and depreciation a little more before buying.

Last edited by KahunaCraft; 08-05-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
No offense, but this is a typical internet thread topic. There's no "answer" to the question, but there's a whole lot of opinion. Personally, I say EVERY Nautique wastes EVERY MasterCraft in EVERY aspect, especially looks... But that's my opinion. As equally as I hate the picklefork, others love it. In my opinion, Supra and Nautique did the super bow correctly, and MasterCraft blew it. G23 vs X-30? No contest, especially if you surf... GM Cobalt vs Ford Mustang? Dodge Avenger VS Nissan GT-R? The G series Nautiques are the best wakeboard/ wakesurf boats on the market, hands down. Like them or not, well that's you're opinion. Is Ford the "best" pickup? or is Nissan? or Dodge? Or are they all the same?
now i do think the 210 and 230s are great looking boats, but the 230s wake suck and wash out like crazy. supras SA bow is horrendous and literally sticks out like a sore thumb, and the G23 has the bow of old glastrons. now on to your comparisons that are completely wrong. does the x30 and g23 do the same thing? yes, but the G23 has more ballast and not as refined or luxurious as a 30, not to mention the interior sucks and lacks any attention to detail like that of any mastercraft for that matter. if I'm dropping 130k on a boat, it wont be ugly and have a plain jane squared off interior. I haven't ridden the new star, so i wont be a fanboy like most other people that try and run their mouths on the g23 vs star comparison. The 30-g23 is a relevant comparison due to their size and options, and comparing the dodge avenger to a 100k wake boat is just dumb.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I was making a point of personal opinion. Saying I'm wrong that the G series bow is nicer is a false statement. My post was completely relevant in that Internet forums are always filled with opinion passed of as factual. If I was spending 130k on a boat, it wouldn't be an MC. If you would, that's cool and I'm sure MC thanks you for it. Do I like my XStar? Yeah, I've put so much into it, it's got everything I want. Would I be happier with a SAN? Yup...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Surfing is too easy. Just sayin...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Plus a ridiculous amount if money to spend to surf behind a boat. Ill stick to my ski boat and take trips to the beach if I wanna surf ! Lol . I do wanna try it though.