Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Here is a really great thread. Quite a bit of honest feedback with minimal hate.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798932

I have spent quite a bit of time in the G23. Few pulls behind a new Xstar. You can read my comments in the link and I will add these after more time in each. I think the X30 comparison is a fair one. Its more versatile than an XStar. The new Star is still wakeboard specific. It really is no where close to the G surf wise. The G with NSS is awesome. It surfs great with just stock ballast. The wakeboard wake is my personal preference and it goes to the G for cleanliness, consistancy, and pop. The G does not drive like the barge everyone claims it looks like. The Star does handle better for sure. Also the star still wins in the looks category. It still looks great in the water and on the trailer. The G on the trailer is scary and does kind of look odd with its current tower.

The 13 x30 I was behind wakeboarding was also a great wake. It was just a touch more rampy than the 03-11 Star and just lacked the kick that version Star had. The 30 wake was very very consistant and clean. I would rate it as a very similar wakeboard wake to the original 205v wake just with a longer transition. That 03-11 Star is my absolute favorite wake of all time this far, even after riding the G. It is perfect, consistant and clean, but the boat just does that. It's a one trick pony. The one trick it does do is maxed to perfection. My limited experience with the new 13 one has been inconsistent . Some good days , some not so good days in my 5 days behind two different ones.

The G is just so much more versatile than the Star IMO. That's why I think an X30 comparison fits the bill somewhat. I really think the G versatility sells people and the looks make some people run. I think the G looks turn more people off from the go, but if they actually drove it, it would change their opinion. Lets face it tho........looks sell a ton of boats. The Xstar's interior has so much attention to detail and is much more refined. There is a ton of exposed fiberglass in the G so the interior looks really plain where the Stars screams high end. Again tho if wakeboarding is the real only comparison it's tough call, but throw the versatility of the G in there it really shines. The fact that you don't need to fill all the storage with PWT sacs to get a large clean wake is nice as well.

Last edited by swatguy; 08-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 PM
MC Devotee

The 230 really is no where near the new x30. The X30 is a hands down winner for boarding and surfing as well as overall looks and performance. The 230 is a bit of old technogy so to speak with the hull. I haven't surfed the X30 myself but being in both boats wakeboarding and hearung the sirect comments from people who actually own a 230 and were behin the X30 is was unanimous. The edge was all for the X30. Nautique is talking about revamping the the 230 anyways.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
I can tell u the G was more versatile at wake setup...X30 has less stock ballast, and was much more sensitive to passenger situational seating...the G was pretty much ambiguous to that last and the NSS was very impressive (goofy and regular)... U cud transition to heel side and jump the wake in fact! Also it was less about transferring ballast from one side to the other and more about the NSS, wave was easier to tune for ramp and pocket...the well at the platform was pretty deep tho, the boat ran a deeper and more hull pushing more water...going home it was noisier, porpoised more and felt more like we were drifting around corners. Generally I liked the X better for drive ability, interior, ride...the wake can def be made to be what's needed, but it's not as simple and requires lots more experimentation. There were no surf tabs this boat nor pro package, just the center tab...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
FYI, the new 230 is already out.

I can only comment on the G23 , as I have spent about 10 hours in one. The boat is simply amazing. I wouldn't want one as I am a skier. If I was really into wakeboarding and surfing with a large group of people, this boat is a winner. The boat looks like a tank , but it handles really well . The surf system works great, so if surfing is priority, this is the boat to get as MC does not have a comparable system. Price is high though, I personally could not justify spending 100k+ on any boat.I hope ski boats don't get there in my life time!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:01 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
FYI, the new 230 is already out.

I can only comment on the G23 , as I have spent about 10 hours in one. The boat is simply amazing. I wouldn't want one as I am a skier. If I was really into wakeboarding and surfing with a large group of people, this boat is a winner. The boat looks like a tank , but it handles really well . The surf system works great, so if surfing is priority, this is the boat to get as MC does not have a comparable system. Price is high though, I personally could not justify spending 100k+ on any boat.I hope ski boats don't get there in my life time!
Huh guess with all the g series realeases I completely missed the '14 230. There u have it, it's in fact official. No months of teasers hype and gimmicks.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

2014 230 about $10-15k less than 13 G...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Talking

I have a 30, and have 1.5 years on the new hull. Surf wise, I have yet to surf anything better. Very very easy to setup on both sides and the more weight the bigger it keeps getting. We don't have surf tabs and although they are supposed to help, I have found the wave to be near perfect.

Wakeboard wise, the wake is very clean, even at low speeds and can get as big as you want. It doesn't have a lot of vertical lip like an older nautique but it can still launch you as big as you wanna go and just keeps getting bigger with weight.

The X-30 has the most storage of any MC made, has one of the best surf waves, has an excellent wakeboard wake, and a well thought out interior and seating, and handles like a 21 foot boat. Out of all the boats and brand to throw up head to head against a G (which costs a lot more) I think the 30 is a good comparison.

As always, a few wakeboard pics. If this wake isn't big enough for you, please upload a video of your riding
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2003
Natique is way overpriced and looks like a giant bathtub.

2003 x9
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
No offense, but this is a typical internet thread topic. There's no "answer" to the question, but there's a whole lot of opinion. Personally, I say EVERY Nautique wastes EVERY MasterCraft in EVERY aspect, especially looks... But that's my opinion. As equally as I hate the picklefork, others love it. In my opinion, Supra and Nautique did the super bow correctly, and MasterCraft blew it. G23 vs X-30? No contest, especially if you surf... GM Cobalt vs Ford Mustang? Dodge Avenger VS Nissan GT-R? The G series Nautiques are the best wakeboard/ wakesurf boats on the market, hands down. Like them or not, well that's you're opinion. Is Ford the "best" pickup? or is Nissan? or Dodge? Or are they all the same?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

As I am no expert at riding the wakes, I can only speak to the looks and structure at this point. The G definitely has the edge on tuneability, ease of set up, and overall structure of the wake. As I said before, the X seems capable of the same, it just takes more experimentation and effort to make that happen - some might even say that's part of the fun? X def had the edge on "go home" drive being smoother and Escalade like vs the Gs "pulling a trailer" feel.
All that aside, the G I drove was 50% more than the X and had no trailer. Equally priced or even within 10-15%, I might lift the G...but gonna wait on the build sheets for both and final pricing/goodies they throw in.
I took some vid of both wakes and Ill try and make time to post EM up.