Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
Seriously thinking of moving to the USA - advice pls

TT'ers we live in Alberta now.

We have six family members, a small dog, love to be on the water (ski, surf, board), love to be outdoors;

Not into large crowds, I believe Calgary is 1.25M people, like space, need a big home with good economy, safe city to raise kids.

I am a head hunter so job location is not critical; most of the work is on the phone.

Not saying we hate the cold, but it is not my favourite part of Canada. The main reason for considering to move is that the cold sparks pneumonia in me, something I just don't want to have to deal with yearly... I also can't say that I love humidity while a guy has to work, perhaps something I would grow accustomed to, but Cali would be the best climate for me 72-78 sounds good to me, now when we are on the water bring on 100+ for sure.

So, American's please chime in.

Texas looks good to me, but here are my questions about your regions.

What are the downfalls when considering natural disasters of particular cities (ie Oklahoma gets tornado's often I believe; don't really want to walk into that possibility. ) In Calgary, we really don't have any natural disasters we need to consider, sure we flooded really bad a few years back, but a flood (when you live on high ground as we do, is not that serious when considering tornadoes, hurricanes etc).

What is a huge benefit of a particular state, city, and community,

I am open to all advice but know that I would be republican, don't have much patience for stupid people, thus I believe much of Florida would be out - LOL seriously I don't know that just my initial thought.

So far in my head, I think Texas, Cali, Florida, Colorado (would feel very similar to Calgary, but a touch warmer).

And for those Texans out there, Dallas/FW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin or....

For Californian's out there, thoughts...
Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
avoid all blue states... especially mine... Illinois...

unless you wish to pay more taxes than you are now...
Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
My wife has similar reactions in cold, windy areas at high elevations. Hurts her whole body but she deals with it (for now).

A few random thoughts, and I'm no expert by any means.

California:
Great warmth, sunny mild climate, but taxes are much higher and cost of living too. Very Democratic too for me. Just heard on Medved radio, if Cali, Wa and Oregon were thrown out, Trump would of won the popular vote by 2MM people.

Texas:
Also warm and nice but my two daughters at Texas A&M and Texas Tech both miss the mountains....so pretty flat. Further south and you get a lot of humidity. Like Houston and Texas A&M. But pretty conservative as a whole so similar like minds there.

Maybe check out Tennessee? Warmer climate and more conservative too. I've been curious about that state.

Like I said, just random thoughts. All I know for sure is Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming and Washington, where I've lived at one point in my life (and 2 years in Calgary where I was born but know nothing about Calgary).

People that actually live in those other states can probably support or deny any of my thoughts......

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Come on down my Camerican pal. I hear ID is nice.

Would gladly give you the Chamber of Commerce speech on Colorado, most of which is widely known and highly publicized. You could also attend all of C's hockey games at University of Denver and watch him win another Frozen Four. Downside, is it has gotten crowded and expensive. This goes for housing, roadways, ski slopes, mountain bike trails, etc. Schools can be a challenge as well.

We also loved living in California as a young couple, but could not afford to stay there long term and raise kids and take care of our folks.

On water: stay cold and clean, you're already acclimated.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '07 X2
Plenty of dry (not humid) air in Arizona
Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
avoid all blue states... especially mine... Illinois...

unless you wish to pay more taxes than you are now...
Unless you are going to vote blue!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Maybe check out Tennessee? Warmer climate and more conservative too. I've been curious about that state.
From what I have heard, this ^^^.

I live in Louisiana and have spent a lot of time in Florida for recreation. Have customers in several states and have spent a fair amount of time on business in Texas and California. I know some people that have moved to Nashville and absolutely love it.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Come on down my Camerican pal. I hear ID is nice.

Would gladly give you the Chamber of Commerce speech on Colorado, most of which is widely known and highly publicized. You could also attend all of C's hockey games at University of Denver and watch him win another Frozen Four. Downside, is it has gotten crowded and expensive. This goes for housing, roadways, ski slopes, mountain bike trails, etc. Schools can be a challenge as well.

We also loved living in California as a young couple, but could not afford to stay there long term and raise kids and take care of our folks.

On water: stay cold and clean, you're already acclimated.
wow real estate is not cheap in Co; not what I expected at all; did a quick search, 5+ beds 3000+ ft, 3 car garage at least on a small lot; $850-$1.2 easy - didn't see that coming.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM
MC Devotee

i'd prefer to stay "west" I think... well my wife thinks anyway.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Alabama sucks!!! Texas looks good, move there!

ALABAMA'S #1 BANDWAGON FAN!! AND DOESN'T WANT TO WAIT UNTIL 2014 TO PLAY THE ONE AND DONE CREW!!!