Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
Carnival Cruise

So who has been on a carnival cruise? Was it worth it? What to expect?

I have never been on a cruise period, don't really know what to expect besides lots of food and alcohol. Thinking about one in February departing from Mobile, AL and going to Cozumel. Do you need a passport? Anyone ever surfed down there?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit628 View Post
So who has been on a carnival cruise? Was it worth it? What to expect?

I have never been on a cruise period, don't really know what to expect besides lots of food and alcohol. Thinking about one in February departing from Mobile, AL and going to Cozumel. Do you need a passport? Anyone ever surfed down there?

Thanks!
in my experience, carnival seems to be the wal-mart of cruise lines. there are families that you have to question how they could even afford to take a cruise.

That being said, i still love cruises and would do it again
Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205 w/ LT1
Took Carnival last spring, and found you do get what you paid for. Food quality is definitely down as a result of lower cruise prices. If you enjoy your destinations, and get off the boat to do fun things; you will have a great time.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
We went on one in December 2012, on the Triumph, Before it caught on fire and filled the hallways with sewage! Glad we missed that mess.

Galveston to Cancun then over to Cozumel. We had a nice suite near the stern with a big balcony. We considered jumping ship in Cozumel, staying there for a bit and then fly home. I didn't care for the whole deal. It was like a super cheesy floating Sizzler. Loads of "Whisky Tango" folks loading up their plates at the buffet. No thanks. I felt stuck on the boat when the weather went to hell. We got stuck in a Force 9 wind storm for 15 hours after Cozumel. Not fun. If we weren't on the boat, we could of done something else. No pool during the storm because the ship was rocking so bad the water was rolling out of it. Everything else also shut down due to weather. Weather aside I still won't take a cruise again.

If you do go cruising spend the extra $$ for the First to Fun passes and also buy the booze badge. The First to Fun pass means you don't wait in lines to get on or off the boat. We loved walking past 100's of people waiting in line to walk right on the ship then roll right up to the bar a get a cold treat.

We had passports. No it wasn't worth it. Water at Cozumel was amazing, we went diving. Didn't do any surfing.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
That type of cruise (short out and back), you don't really get the cruise experience. On Carnival, always in a rush, always noisy. Late February, is the beginning of spring break (high school
trips)

Last time, I cruised, was on Carnival...for daughter's high school senior trip. (NO I didn't pick the destination, or line) Time in port (Cozumel) was 4 hours, not a lot of time. Figure 45-60 minutes, to get off ship. We biked, to snorkel spot, then back on board.

It's worth, the extra money, on a better cruise line. Carnival is what it is. What he said, on Booze card, and express pass on lines.

Cruising is, all about the ship, not the destination. I prefer, smaller boats.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I did a carnival cruise and was not completely impressed. I did Royal Caribbean and had a much more enjoyable experience. Yes you will need a passport since you will technically be leaving the country.

Also agree with the notion of first in line and booze passes.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Second the Royal Caribbean recommendation. Booze badge also. Being on board tends to lead to more time at the bar as there isn't a lot to do during the days at sea.

Cozumel has surfing on the east side of the island when the weathers good but the ships dock on the west side. You have to get across the island and back which might be a challenge depending on the amount of time you have on the island. Water is beautiful there though and diving is great as well.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 - MCX
I have been on cruises with Carnval, NCL, and Disney. Disney was the best by far. We do have kids, but the Disney cruise is much more than kid stuff. The service was excellent too.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 X2
There is a guy on Cozumel that does surfing lessons, you have to got to the other side of the island from town to surf, 15-20 minute ride, I looked into it last time we went but didn't have time to try it, the waves are pretty good over there but I haven't ever seen anyone surfing.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Been on several cruises, including on Carnival. It is the WalMart of cruise lines, as said before. If you go, at least get a balcony cabin so if you want to avoid the crowds you'll have a nice private place to hang out.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190