Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Motor has to be replaced, options?

My motor has apparently suffered a catastrophic failure. 02 LTR with 480hrs. I bought the boat a few years ago with 300hrs and I've changed the oil religiously every 50 hours. I had an electrical gremlin that would cause intermittent hesitation and sudden stop of the motor (like pulling the kill switch). I finally got that fixed and the motor developed a ticking sound. At first I thought it was a sticking valve and then it turned into a full on knocking and screeching sound. I took the boat to Rambo in Westover, AL, yesterday and I talked to Cecil and Deon today. The listened to the motor and felt that it would need to be replaced. They said they also found metal in the oil. We all feel like there is a rod and a bearing that have given up. Interestingly, they said they haven't seen this kind of failure before on this motor and they're not sure yet what caused the failure.

So the obvious question is what to do next. My thoughts are that I can either pay them to put in a reman (Jasper probably) or trade it in on something newer. The quoted me 5-6K for the motor installed with a 1 year warranty. They couldn't give me a specific quote as they haven't torn into the old motor yet. I need to replace my exhaust manifolds anyway as they both have rust and the starboard side has significant rust. This will probably add another $600 or so to the final bill. So 6K or so for a reman.

I asked them to give me a trade in number on this:

http://www.rambomarine.com/new_vehic...31&pov=3186784

I looked at the boat and the outside is great but the interior is a little tired. One cushion has alot of cracks in the seams, the drivers seat has funny red spots on the seat bottom and the sun pad has been bled on by the cover. There are no tower speakers/lights and no walkway door. The motor (MCX) has a dime size gouge on the pretty red intake cover which seemed odd and all the sound deadening material seemed to have fallen off the fiberglass cover/walkway. They offered me 12K for my boat as is and didn't come off the 54,950 on the 06. I figured I would get a low ball, but I was surprised by those numbers. My X30 has over 1/2 the vinyl already replaced, tower lights, heater, 3 jabsco puppy pumps with a through hull inlet. It has the hard tanks out with bags plumbed in the lockers. Lenco trim tab and a fresh air exhaust. I figured it was worth around 20K as is and the 06 looks like a 40K boat. Needless to say I was shocked when he quoted my 42+ thousand to trade in my boat and pull the 06 home.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I should do next. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you have worked out all the gremlins from your boat, I would go the Jasper route and plan on keeping your boat for a few more years. It sounds like you are pretty well set-up with your boat.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
I can tell you where not to get a new longblock!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I wouldn't buy that boat from them. It's easy 10k over priced. You'll find a much better deal through a private party on an 06 X30 for sure.

Case in point -- 07 X30 for 45k

http://for-sale.yakaz.com/mastercraf...07nfie5r0laqus

That's just 10 seconds of search.

And another.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...X-30-102036182

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3938620838.html
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
If your handy with a wrench, why not remove the engine yourself, inspect it and have a local machine shop do any necessary machining and reassemble. You could very well have the motor repaired for less than 1k, You reinstall and save yourself 4k. Seems like such a waste to throw away a motor that can be saved.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
If your handy with a wrench, why not remove the engine yourself, inspect it and have a local machine shop do any necessary machining and reassemble. You could very well have the motor repaired for less than 1k, You reinstall and save yourself 4k. Seems like such a waste to throw away a motor that can be saved.
+1
I know the dealer has to eat, but don't feed them steak! You can get that motor fixed for much less than they want.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Quote:
Ditto
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Sorry bout the motor man. I agree with the others on the saving cash route regarding an engine for your boat.

I have nothing but good things to say about Rambo. They have gone the extra mile for me on several occasions. However that deal they are quoting you is piss poor. That quote they have you for an engine is mostly labor. If they take your boat on trade it's going to cost them half that to drop am engine in there and sell it. However people are Leary on boats with new/rebuilt engines when it comes to buying so the boat will have a small hit on price if they or yourself try to sell it right off the bat. Even with that hit tho the price on the 06 and yours is way off in my eyes.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
This.....
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm with the others. Way too much for their boat and way to little for yours. Either start another hobby (your engine repair) or find another shop that will do this work for you. Spend the money you save on fixing up the areas that are weak on your interior and enjoy your refreshed boat.