Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mc x-25 2013 6.0
Send a message via AIM to Bambamski1
dlamont so you're telling me that loading one side of the BU vs evenly weighted doesn't make it better? Cause I cerntainly noticed a HUGE difference.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft
Honestly, not really sure if adding more weight to one side would be better. I simply liked the ability to switch from one side to the other instantly, try crossing the wake, not feeling like the boat is going to roll over, and not having to sit all on one side. It just makes surfing faster and much more comfortable. I could still surf 15' behind the boat, do 360s and surf for as long as I wanted. Of the three the G25 was the most impressive.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mc x-25 2013 6.0
Send a message via AIM to Bambamski1
don't have any experience behind thhe G25. I guess I see no value in crossing the wake ever so I guess that doesn't really matter for me. I do agree it's a bit of a pain moving people around.

I have surf tabs which are pretty instant and my ballast takes 6 minutes. Part of being on the lake is just to have fun and chill out. Sit and float, go for a ride, sit and chill. My kids/wife/friends, god, that takes them at least 6 minutes before another person gets in the water to ride! I don't think the whole "instant" change would be a selling point for me. I can see it sounding good when you're at the boat show and talking to someone that's never boated or a complete newbie. Real life for me i can't see it making any difference.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
You may not want to cross the wakes but do ever surf with both goofy and regular riders?

Do you have to have perfect pass to water ski, wakeboard, or surf? Heck no. Maybe you think it's a gimmick but it sure makes it convenient.

I haven't personally used one of the surf systems yet. But I have friends, experienced boaters not gullible wallies as you put it, who have, including dlamont And they all rave about the systems.

I bought my X-25 for the wakeboard wake. I wakeboard on it 99% of the time. We usually go in the morning before work, and every minute setting up matters. If it were easier to set up for surfing (for both goofy and regular riders), I might surf more.

Given that people are buying inboards these days to surf, more than skiing or wakeboarding, I hope MC has a system coming out.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
Dang. Was hoping to learn something about innovation on MC's. Ram fill and gravity fill sound great to me. time saving and also gas saving. We have all different levels of riders and so the big boats (new x-star, G23, G25 even X25) are great for intermediate to expert riders but all tough for the young ones to learn and progress on with wakes that are too big and washy for smaller / slower riders to get confident on wake jumps.

Maybe a surf system, tabs or a combination could deliver a great flexible wake for multiple rider levels and different activities with a lighter boat for better gas consumption and maybe even a wake that I could tolerate for slalom. And if the boat filled up after it got on plane, we could avoid the expensive engine upgrade that is required for a hole shot with a couple tons of ballast.

just my $.02
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 14' aluminum jonboat
I have been wondering about Xstar surf wakes. I was always under the impression that a star will not make a good wake for surfing, but I thought I had seen a video by MC about setting up the Xstar for surfing but now I can't find it. I also just saw a pic on MCs FB page of a person getting air on the goofy wake of a star, but from the comments, it appears no one else can seem to get their stars to make a clean wake like that on either side, and all the OP will say is that they did not have a sac under any of the seats. So can an Xstar make a decent surf wake or not?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
.... do tell
That's all I know, from the press release hire of new VP. My guess is that it is surf related.??> Maybe a surf specific boat, kind of like the X-Star is a wakeboard specific boat?...
Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
I'd really like to see a system come out similar to NSS or Surfgate. After having 90 hours so far this summer and spending a ton of time switching sides for surfers I'd say a lack of a convenient system will be a deal breaker for me in 3-4 years when I upgrade.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhodges21 View Post
I have been wondering about Xstar surf wakes. I was always under the impression that a star will not make a good wake for surfing, but I thought I had seen a video by MC about setting up the Xstar for surfing but now I can't find it. I also just saw a pic on MCs FB page of a person getting air on the goofy wake of a star, but from the comments, it appears no one else can seem to get their stars to make a clean wake like that on either side, and all the OP will say is that they did not have a sac under any of the seats. So can an Xstar make a decent surf wake or not?
X-Stars DO NOT surf well at all. Washed out and no push from my experience. Probably that huge box that hangs off the back on the transom
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri4X2 View Post
X-Stars DO NOT surf well at all. Washed out and no push from my experience. Probably that huge box that hangs off the back on the transom
Last gen was not that good for surfing.

New Star surfs very well. Not quite as nice as the X30 that I also ride, but every bit as good as the X25 I had. I was very surprised. Goofy side took a little bit of figuring, but we finally got it nailed down. Needed more weight in the bow, and attitude plate down 20%.

It is not the cleanest surf wake in the world, but has more push than any boat I have ever been behind. I am now riding a 4'2" LF Custom most of the time. I cant even keep up with my buddies X30 or G23 on that board. I have to ride the 4'8" Custom. I am good on the 4'8", but the 4'2" is definitely more nimble. The 30 and G maintain a cleaner lip, further back. Although, I never feel a difference riding in the slightly washed section of the XStar wave. Still has great push back there.

Disclaimer- I have never been behind a centurion, or supreme, which I know have incredible surf waves. I do ride behind a G23, an X30, a Moomba LSV, and a 24 MXZ. The Moomba is the only surf wave that we don't care for.