Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Glad you didn't take it to hard wakecumberland. Re reading my post it was a bit harsh. Sorry.

I don't drink kool-aid, But Steve-o sure does serve it up for the sheeple to lap it up.

Here are the number one topics on a MAC forum:
- Login screen stuck
- LowercaSe "S" key not working!!!
- Menu bar keeps flashing
- I can't drag and drop

"Stupid user base aside, I will never own a Mac. It's not so much that I'm a PC loyalist. I'm not. It's that I'm not stylish enough to own one. Most iPod commercials feature guys with long hair, chicks roller skating, and guys wearing fedoras. I have dandruff, and I buy most of my jeans from a grocery store. I feel like in order to have a Mac, I need to be:
An artist.
In a band.
Unemployed (see above)."
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinbroke View Post
OMG...really,
Are we debating a comparison between Microsoft and Mastercraft ?

Ya, these two companies are identical.........

good times!
As a comparison of quality product, yes it is identical in theory. But simple minds make harder work. Not expecting everyone to get it. And then it turned into a debate.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
It seems like these days, all anyone does on the forums is "bash" the new technology on boats, especially those with older boats. As mentioned above, an 18 year boat is very different than a 2013.

The new 2013 systems function great. I am totally happy with my new boat and the electronics. When it's my turn to ride, I choose "max wake". That's it. Ballast, speed, and plate are set up just how I like it and the auto launch feature is awesome. If I want to, I can still fill my tanks with an old fashion toggle switch too.

As for the "Mac" hating, I find it comical. I have an IT background and spent 20 years using PC's but try an Iphone or Ipad out for a week or 2 and come back and say they are only for "artists". These are amazing devices and offer a lot of features. The next time we are boating and my iphone automatically adjusts the volume based on our speed from an app that cost $.99, I won't be thinking "I just drank the Apple kool aid".
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post

Stick with MC. They are like Microsoft, usually last to the market, but always better than the rest and done right the first time when they get there.
wow...

I don't find this to be true at all. Last to market? the MC of old introduced the 2003 Xstar. I wish i was paying attention to wakeboarding then, but that boat had to blow everyone away. the 230 didnt exist back then, and the VLX isnt what it is today, that boat had no competition when it was introduced. first to market, and they nailed the wake.

fast forward a few years... they tried to be first to market again with the... 2012? xstar. yeah... that went well. Just like windows vista. I'm still waiting on a set behind one but i'm hoping the 2013 star is like windows 7...

As i company i definitely would not want to be compared to microsoft.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Glad you didn't take it to hard wakecumberland. Re reading my post it was a bit harsh. Sorry.

I don't drink kool-aid, But Steve-o sure does serve it up for the sheeple to lap it up.

Here are the number one topics on a MAC forum:
- Login screen stuck
- LowercaSe "S" key not working!!!
- Menu bar keeps flashing
- I can't drag and drop

"Stupid user base aside, I will never own a Mac. It's not so much that I'm a PC loyalist. I'm not. It's that I'm not stylish enough to own one. Most iPod commercials feature guys with long hair, chicks roller skating, and guys wearing fedoras. I have dandruff, and I buy most of my jeans from a grocery store. I feel like in order to have a Mac, I need to be:
An artist.
In a band.
Unemployed (see above)."
Man, I'm a mac guy of old. I have a Pc laptop that I use for work, but I do a lot of music recording, and a pc suks for that. I can use either, but I definitely prefer a mac. Pc is a good business machine, but mac kills it in multimedia.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
wow...

I don't find this to be true at all. Last to market? the MC of old introduced the 2003 Xstar. I wish i was paying attention to wakeboarding then, but that boat had to blow everyone away. the 230 didnt exist back then, and the VLX isnt what it is today, that boat had no competition when it was introduced. first to market, and they nailed the wake.

fast forward a few years... they tried to be first to market again with the... 2012? xstar. yeah... that went well. Just like windows vista. I'm still waiting on a set behind one but i'm hoping the 2013 star is like windows 7...

As i company i definitely would not want to be compared to microsoft.

It was clearly a bad comparison if yo look at it subjectively. But objectively I just meant it by quality of goods and changes to meet the ever changing sports on water. However, Microsoft and MC were very early pioneers of their respective industries and successful ones at that. They are both the biggest, the first and the last. Is all I mean't by it.

If you get into squishy details it all gets lost.

I think we all can agree all others beneath either company are in the shadow of the latter.

Oh F'in'A This is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JixbzFjv_cU

And everyone is right, for media I will agree MAC has got PC licked. But mac would fall short in every area for my business.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Microsoft comparison aside, getting back to where MasterCraft is heading, I can't say I'm a fan. Happy for people who own new boats and are pumped on them, but I can't stand the pickefork. I couldn't see myself buying a MasterCraft newer than maybe 2002. They're too smack you in the face, look at all the billet, see how bright the orange is etc for this cat. I grew up skiing behind MasterCrafts, and wakeboarding behind Nautiques. It comes down to personal preference, and my next boat will be a Nautique 230 for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love MasterCraft, and I'm sure the new ones perform great, I just don't think I own enough white sunglasses and basketball jerseys to have one.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I didn't mean to spark a debate about Microsoft, especially since I'm a former Microsoft employee

Over the past few years, surfing has really taken off and gone mainstream in water sports. I talk to the owner of my local water sports gear shop, and he says that what he's selling the most of these days are wakesurf boards. That is, after tubes, which is the shops' bread and butter; they really don't sell that many wakeboards or water skis anymore -- it's tubes and wakesurf boards (and ballast bags for surfing).

I talk to the local boat dealers, and what people are coming in to buy are boats for wake surfing. Look at the positioning of the X-46: Mastercraft's best wakesurf boat. And a big part of the X-30 sell is surfing.

Centurion has really ridden the surfing wave. When someone wants to buy the "best" surf boat, consensus is the Enzo. Say whatever else you want about Centurion, when the talk among friends who don't have their owner's goggles on turns to surf boats, everyone bows down to the Enzo.

The innovations Nautique and Malibu have added? Surf systems. Same with Centurion.

So if you're in the market to buy a boat for surfing (and obviously people are -- exhibit A, the X-46), and you're shopping the big 3 (and maybe Centurion), it would seem that MC is at a real competitive disadvantage now. The surf systems are a very easy sell, and the lack something easy to sell against.

I know what a pain it is to shift from port to starboard surf wake on my X-25, and I'd love to be able to just push a switch and have it take seconds.

So I'm hoping MC does have a system in the works. I would imagine both Nautique and Malibu have protected theirs with patents, so maybe that's the hold up for MC.

I'm thinking of buying a new X-25 in the next year or two to replace my 2011 X-25. I've not had any serious issues with my X-25 though the BIG is a little flaky at times. The biggest complaint I have is that the dashboard cowl sits very high and makes it tough to see. The new dashes are much better. And I have the Indmar 5.7, which is fine for wakeboarding and surfing, but when I really sack out with PnP for boarding, I could use a bit more power.

But I want to wait till MC has a surf system before I go for a new X-25. The lack of one makes me think about another brand, like a G23.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
One thing I'll say about all of these new systems is that it's one more thing that will break, and none of the manufacturers care about boats >5 years old. For me (and those of us exclusively on the used market) the more touch screens, tabs, electronics, pumps, etc. something has, the less I want it.

I hope MC doesn't go to LCDs on the new ski boat, or at least make it an option like the SN200 (has the big honking screen or two analog gauges).
Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X46 6.2l
My rant was directed towards big problems and the earlier centurion post about the wake tuning. I do love the new boats but damn, what a price. My thought on the mc surf system problem is patenting. Tiges' new system looks pretty good too, saves you from having to modify your swim platform as well. My goal in life right now is to simultaneously try to have a kid and work towards an x30 or 46. Leaning more towards the 46, figured if im gonna pay so much to upgrade from a 2009 x15 i might as well go big.