Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Sad day!

We just got the news.

A little history first.
One of my twins who loves football, tore his ACL in his first game as a Freshman. He had surgery, made a full recovery and played a little his sophmore year and a lot his junior year.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Playing in 7 on 7 and felt a pop, continued to play. His knee has been a little sore after excercise, so we went yesterday to get it checked.

Torn ACL, same knee. Four weeks to the first game of his senior year. He doesn't know yet, we will talk to him tonight. This is a conversation that I just dread.

And to top things off. His twin who hasn't played since middle school decided to play his senior year. So, not only will he not get to play, but he will be watching his brother from the sidelines.

This is one of those times that I really wish I could make the hurt go away and make it all better!

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Aw man that's rough. We lost a senior hockey player to concussion last year and he was throwing gear away on his way out of the locker room. Tough to see.

My son broke his collar bone the day after making JV hockey as a freshman (Nov 14). Practiced three days with it broken without knowing until we took him in. Got cleared to skate and broke it worse his first day back (Jan. 2). Long road to recovery now with 8 months off but he will only be a sophomore, so if he makes the team he'll have some time to get back to where he needs to be.

Best of luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM
MC Devotee

Update, his coach played for the University of Alabama in the mid 90's and still knows several people there. He is taking him to the university this morning to let their trainers take a look at his knee.

My son doesn't expect much good news about his knee, but he is excited to get to see the facilities.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
The knee injury could be a blessing in disguise......there are far worse injuries available in football.

Change of sport could be a solution ?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Update, his coach played for the University of Alabama in the mid 90's and still knows several people there. He is taking him to the university this morning to let their trainers take a look at his knee.

My son doesn't expect much good news about his knee, but he is excited to get to see the facilities.
Don't let them recommend some treatment that makes it unstable, or is too traumatic for the knee. Someone I grew up with was a HS football star and by the time he graduated, his knees were completely toast. By the time he was 46, he had both knees replaced, one twice. He was soooo good, too. He and his two brothers were great multi- sport athletes and their dad pushed them hard, but Dean took the most punishment.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
We just got the news.

A little history first.
One of my twins who loves football, tore his ACL in his first game as a Freshman. He had surgery, made a full recovery and played a little his sophmore year and a lot his junior year.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Playing in 7 on 7 and felt a pop, continued to play. His knee has been a little sore after excercise, so we went yesterday to get it checked.

Torn ACL, same knee. Four weeks to the first game of his senior year. He doesn't know yet, we will talk to him tonight. This is a conversation that I just dread.

And to top things off. His twin who hasn't played since middle school decided to play his senior year. So, not only will he not get to play, but he will be watching his brother from the sidelines.

This is one of those times that I really wish I could make the hurt go away and make it all better!
That is tough. I would dread that kind of conversation with a child. Good luck on that.

Probably best to keep his mind busy. Tell him Football was fun while it lasted and he needs to move on or risk further injury.

Try something else, ask him what he always wanted to do or try. Maybe you will be surprised and be able to coddle his needs for adrenaline and team spirit by moving into something else. Like a car or boat project. Or anything with a huge reward.

Nothing will make your son feel better about himself, better than self accomplishment. Get him achieving again as soon as possible. Don't let it make a rut.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Don't let them recommend some treatment that makes it unstable, or is too traumatic for the knee. Someone I grew up with was a HS football star and by the time he graduated, his knees were completely toast. By the time he was 46, he had both knees replaced, one twice. He was soooo good, too. He and his two brothers were great multi- sport athletes and their dad pushed them hard, but Dean took the most punishment.
Yes, he doesn't want to try to play with the bad knee. His coach played with a torn ACL for his Junior and Senior years in college and he can barely walk now.

And he's in his early 40's

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
That is tough. I would dread that kind of conversation with a child. Good luck on that.

Probably best to keep his mind busy. Tell him Football was fun while it lasted and he needs to move on or risk further injury.

Try something else, ask him what he always wanted to do or try. Maybe you will be surprised and be able to coddle his needs for adrenaline and team spirit by moving into something else. Like a car or boat project. Or anything with a huge reward.

Nothing will make your son feel better about himself, better than self accomplishment. Get him achieving again as soon as possible. Don't let it make a rut.
Great advice, thanks

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

New update, it's the dead period for recruiting, so the trainers at U of A can't lay a finger on him. I'm sending them a copy of the disc from the MRI for them to review.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That's brutal. I'm sure things will shape up, lots of life in front of him yet.