Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Guardian Mode for no reason

(Excuse the new thread but didn't have time to check all...)
I have an 01 X9 with the MCX that is going into guardian mode for no reason at varying speeds. Most of the time it is when running about 30 mph or after an extended run. Temp is fine, oil pressure is fine. I have a 160 degree thermostat in it which also seems to be functioning properly. No leaks from water pump and a new impeller for the season with about 35 hours on it. The dealer cannot locate the issue. It throws no codes on diagnostics. They have had it in the water several times and cannot replicate it. As soon as I get it back, it will do it for me within the first day. I haven't checked myself to see if I am not somehow throwing off radiation...but unless someone on these boards has an answer I guess that is next. .Anyone ever had this issue?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-Star MCX 350
What do you mean by gaurdian mode? I'm having a simliar issue with my 2005 X-star with an MCX. Take it to the dealer and they said they cannot read the codes because they are soft codes and are deleted off the computer after 3 warm up and cool down cycles.

Dealer fixed what they thought was the issue and the next weekend we take the boat out and it throws check engine on the first set back! The boat looses power and sits in neutral flashing check engine with the engine running but no control with the throttle (is this what you mean by gaurdian mode?) We turn the boat off then on and it works fine.

I think my issue has something to do with my perfect pass as I only experience the check engine with perfect pass on. Looking at buying my own code reader to scan the code as soon as it happens out on the water to solve the problem once and for all.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
its uh... limp mode... not guardian mode..

check your fuel pressure
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

That makes perfect sense to me. I have suspected the perfect pass, but didn't have mine on when it happened so I discounted it. But maybe you don't have to have it on for it to affect it. (Guardian mode is the computer stepping in and shutting everything down to about 2000 or less rpm/s. Won't let you go any faster-to protect the engine I suppose in case of overheating or low oil pressure).

Haven't heard that about the deleting codes but that makes sense too. I have also suspected either a water pump or thermostat that is about to fail or at least the sensor thinks so, but discounted that because the dealer said it wasn't throwing out a code. Every time the guardian mode kicks in the first thing I do is look at the temp guage. It spikes to 170, then comes back down to 160 after a couple of seconds. Like yours the guardian mode goes away by just turning the key off and back on. Sometimes it might be another week before it does it again. But just need to get to the bottom of it so I'll stop pissing off skiers by suddenly stopping!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Fuel pressure is always dead on. When it does it, I pop the guage on it to check. (I've put three fuel pumps in the boat...so that is usually the first place I go).
Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Okay guys, I need the smartest MC guys on these boards to weigh in on this if possible. It is getting worse but 5 weeks later and still no one can solve it. I say worse because when it first started happening, I could kill the switch, turn it back on and it might be two days before it did it again. Now, it does it within 10 minutes every time. Since I am rapidly losing friends who happen to be riding when the boat goes into limp mode, I've got to come up with a solution. I tried some earlier advice of checking for corrosion between the coil and the ECM, but nothing there. As you can see on the video link, I checked fuel pressure during the event and the psi is normal. The engine surges between 1500 and 2200 rpm during the event. It NEVER clears itself up. Only killing the ignition will make it go away. Throttle position is irrelevant. The cruise control is off. A new occurance is that when I kill the ignition and fire it back up, at least one guage goes dead. Sometimes it is the speedo, sometimes it it temp guage, sometimes it is the oil pressure guage. But mostly it is the speedo or the temp guage. Never the fuel guage or the tach. I have no idea what that could mean but thought I should include it. Notice in the video that the CHECK ENGINE light never comes on during the event.

To clarify the first post, (I always get the LTR and MCX confused), my engine is not an MCX, it is the LTR. And you CANNOT get the boat to experience this anomaly when it is cool. It only happens after the boat has been on a fairly hard run(30-37mph)with varying throttle inputs. The dealer had the boat for three weeks and ran two tankfuls of gas through it trying to make it do this and they could not. I got the boat back and did it within 30 minutes. The ONLY difference between me and the dealer's driving the boat is I always have a skier or tuber, etc and have several people in the boat. They did not. Other than that I can't think of anything I do different that could be triggering the event. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!

Here are a couple of videos of the "anomaly";

http://youtu.be/-_ZET4BRR3E

http://youtu.be/4Sp2PPcMjy4
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
what are the temps when it does this? Does it do it when the engine is first started?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Whoops just re read your last post Sounds like something is getting warm and breaking contact. This could be a coil, ignition control module one of the two temp sensors. May need to have these checked
Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
what are the temps when it does this? Does it do it when the engine is first started?
The temps hold pretty steady. For the times when the temp guage is working, I notice an immediate spike from 160 where it stays pretty much all the time, to 170 for a few seconds and then it goes back to 160. I was attributing that to the fact that the boat was traveling at operating speed but then suddenly cuts back to 1500 rpm when the "anomaly" kicks in. Not sure though. I first suspected a temp deal because it only does it after the boat has been run for at least 20 minutes, but the dealer says everything with the impellor and water pump check out.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Whoops just re read your last post Sounds like something is getting warm and breaking contact. This could be a coil, ignition control module one of the two temp sensors. May need to have these checked
Don't think they have checked the ignition control module. I'll email them with that suggestion. Thanks.