MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
They say, drinking a lot of sweet tea will cause them. Idunno
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
They say, drinking a lot of sweet tea will cause them. Idunno
Yeah, I read that too. I've not been on the sweet tea for while now. Believe it or not, I stop drinking beer a while back and cut down on red meat. The ER doc ask me why I did that. That was right before he gave me the jelly finger and said he'd send me a card and flowers. I suggested a quiet dinner. Wendy just laughed at him.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
I went through it again in May for about the 10th time. I had two stones 13mm and 11mm and was lucky to get them both blasted apart in one lithotripsy procedure. However, a stent was inserted during the procedure and quite possibly the worst afternoon of my life occurred about two weeks later when the stent was removed. It was just awful. Absolutely awful.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
I had stents twice. I agree they were bloody awful. Caused me more grief than the stones.had them in for 7-10days - total misery!
I,ve had stones three times.

In terms of zapping them to shatter the stone, in Germany and in UK they say can only be done whilst stone is in Kidney not once moved into tubes.

Now retired and asked to have 6 month screening to see if stones developing to catch early (in Germany this took ultrsound about 10 minutes).
In UK our heath service refused saying I would have to wait and see if they happen again and then they would deal with them!. Last three times this involved: blue light ambulance, hospital admission, stents fitted, week of misery, hospital admission, stent removed etc etc etc.

It does not seem like a cost efficient way of managing the problem.

As for cause I had more conflicting advice than you can count, Hard Water, Tea, Coffee, Strawberrys, Rhubard etc etc etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Had a stone back in May, my first (and hopefully only). I've never felt pain like that. I actually wound up throwing up in the ER waiting room it hurt so much. Found out I've got a high tolerance for pain killers too. Took 4 doses of dilaudid and a dose of morphine before the pain was under control. Spent about 5 hours in the ER- 9pm to about 2am, then home. First time in 12 years I've ever missed work, I took 2 days to rest/recover. Funny thing is, the stone never passed. Doc said sometimes if you really drink alot of water, the calcium will re-dissolve and just get flushed out. Maybe I got lucky, as the idea of it coming out the urethra really doesn't excite me at all.
I was told tea, coffee are contributors, as they're diuretics and the (chronic) dehydration can cause a buildup of calcium and other minerals in the kidney. I quit coffee and tea cold-turkey, but the caffeine headache was a deal breaker. Since then, I've limited myself to one cup of coffee/day and at least 3 quarts of water per day. With luck, I won't have any more problems.
My best advice- drink lots of water and stay hydrated so your kidneys can work properly and flush everything out.
G
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 X Star
http://www.planetaryherbals.com/products/GP1550/

I'm not one to push quack products, but this product has helped me out a lot. My dad had kidney issues, and he turned me on to it after I had a bout with gout.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MariStar 210/215/230 Shopping
Pop is on Allopurinol for gout.

On the hunt..........
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Yeah, I read that too. I've not been on the sweet tea for while now. Believe it or not, I stop drinking beer a while back and cut down on red meat. The ER doc ask me why I did that. That was right before he gave me the jelly finger and said he'd send me a card and flowers. I suggested a quiet dinner. Wendy just laughed at him.
There's the damn cause right there dummy!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
sorry to read tim... I haven't had them - but i know a bunch of folks who have... very painful
Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'm going on a week of this crap now. I've read that it can take upto a month to pass them. Its the not sleeping part that sucks the most.