Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Tradgedy in Arkansas

http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/millingto...ting-accident/

Local news interviewed a neighbor that was with them and he said that while towing the tube and zig-zagging, the steering wheel came off of the boat. The boat then did a hairpin turn and ran back over the boys killing one.
BTW it was apparently a rental pontoon boat.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Another sad situation - but the story doesn't say the steering wheel came off, it says "the steering wheel ripped out of his hands, the wheel spun". Something in the water perhaps that forced the steering to the side? I can't image what.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Probably more to this story yet to be told. Truly tragic- hopefully something that can be learned from this?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Another sad situation - but the story doesn't say the steering wheel came off, it says "the steering wheel ripped out of his hands, the wheel spun". Something in the water perhaps that forced the steering to the side? I can't image what.

That part reads like bullocks. Its an outboard right - anything that will impact the engine hard enough to "rip" the steering from your hands THROUGH A HYDRAULIC steering... With out rendering the propeller/lower unit immobile?

That's a negatory in my book.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/millingto...ting-accident/

Local news interviewed a neighbor that was with them and he said that while towing the tube and zig-zagging, the steering wheel came off of the boat. The boat then did a hairpin turn and ran back over the boys killing one.
BTW it was apparently a rental pontoon boat.
I miss understood it the first time I heard the interview. Had other things going on in the room. I saw the story again at 10 last night and heard the "ripped out of his hands" comment. Either way its a terrible thing.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
That part reads like bullocks. Its an outboard right - anything that will impact the engine hard enough to "rip" the steering from your hands THROUGH A HYDRAULIC steering... With out rendering the propeller/lower unit immobile?

I doubt it had hydraulic steering. Cables can act funny sometimes. Regardless, a simple pull back on the throttle or yank of the kill switch could have easily prevented this. Sad.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
So Sad, outlaw tubes and require safety course for everyone
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post

I agree. Also, this is a rental pontoon boat that can turn on a dime (did a hairpin turn) and go so fast that the driver had no time to cut the engine or throttle down? Does not compute.
Very sad story and very preventable.
Previous 1992 Sport Nautique
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

No way you do a 180 and go back over a tuber just because steering jams. All you have to do is pull back on throttle.

Either someone totally panicked and didn't have any sense to be driving a boat, or there was booze/drugs involved (more likely).
Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
I immediately thought of my kids on the end of the rope just last week. So sad to hear about this.

I too was thinking he/she could have just pulled back on the throttle, but if it was rental, and they were not that familiar with it, it could only take a few seconds of panic and doing nothing to make things go bad.

However, the story is a hard one to buy. Even at a hard turn, wouldn't the tube just follow the boat? I would think the line to the tube would have to come off to put the tube stopped in the water to allow a turn back to hit it. ??