Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Uggh... my 3rd day in the hospital

I've had back problems for 15 years that started after a tandem skydive when I picked up the canopy (I was the instructor). Ended up with herniated discs. Pain meds and physical therapy have been the theme each time I have a problem with it.

We spent 4 days at DH lake last week and I was having some pain but it was nothing too bad. Back at home around 2 am on Saturday, I had the most intense pain I've ever experienced. On the 1-10 scale I gave it an 11! My wife tried to help me get on my feet and I nearly passed out. I was in tears a few times, and I nearly threw up once from the intensity. Major long lasting spasms went on and off for 5 hours until we decided to call for help. An ambulance and a fire truck showed up with 6 guys who started an IV for pain and put me on a board to carry me out. Pretty embarrassing situation being so helpless like that.

So after my 3rd day here, it's getting a bit boring. I have my tablet and TT to keep me entertained, and I do have the morphine pump with a button I can push at will. . The nurses are very sweet and very helpful but there is no eye candy. I suppose I'd rather have good care than have something good to look at.

I just got word that I'll be getting an injection or two in my lower back and I'll start physical therapy on Wednesday. Wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
holy cow ... hope you get better ... have similar issues just not that bad ... good luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
I am on back surgery #2.

5 years ago I was in pain, shooting pain all the way down the back of my left leg. used the meds for a bit but finally had the operation. That was on L5-S1

about 2 years later, same type of pain, same leg....but not quite as bad. had the injections, they were great. next day after injection, pain is gone. they would work for 4-5 months but the pain would return I figured I would be able to handle the epidural steroid injections if that is what was going to keep me going (whatever you do...do not let them show you the needle!).

well....around thanksgiving last year BAM, woke up, got out of bed, took one step and couldn't move. I felt like i was walking with a bag of marbles taped around my foot. the pain was the worst ever. 2 epidural steroid injections did nothing for it this time around. surgery was scheduled for Jan 5th of this year.

it has been over 7 months now. the nerve damage in my foot is horrendous, but the back is better. doc said it could take a while for the nerve to heal or die completely (either is fine with me at this point).

get an MRI and see what is going on. get the injections, they help....but do not think you are healed after you have them, they just mask the pain and reduce the nerve swelling. the herniation is still there.

good luck man, I wish you all the best!
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
get an MRI and see what is going on. get the injections, they help....but do not think you are healed after you have them, they just mask the pain and reduce the nerve swelling. the herniation is still there.

good luck man, I wish you all the best!
Had an MRI and that's when they said, again (this was my 4th MRI in 15 years) that the herniation isn't bad enough to cause the problem. It's the inflammation you mention around the area that's causing the pain in my back.

No pain or numbness down my legs. They all say, if I had pain down my leg(s) they can operate for that and are usually very successful. He even said, "This will most likely happen again - maybe not at the same intensity, but it probably won't be permanent."

12 more hours and we'll see what happens. I can't go on like this, that's for sure.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
no pain down the backs of your legs is a good thing. ESI's will definitely help. You will be good to go next or so and it gets better every day for about a week as if you had no pain at all.
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well... I just got a new update. The anesthesiologist who was going to do this procedure, read my radiology report and said he is not comfortable doing this to me considering the level of problem associated with my condition. The nurse gave me a copy of the report and it is 2 full pages long. She explained that I have spurs on the inside of my vertebrae that is causing pain because of the close contact to my spinal cord. It is not operable and will have to be managed with injections or other methods.

Right now I feel like, long term... I'm screwed.
My G'ma always used to say "It's a great life if you don't weaken".

I'm being discharged in a few hours to return in 7 days when the first doctor who was going to do this (but is on vacation) returns to review my case.

Sorry I just blurted this all out but there is a big of emotion involved in my writing right now.

I could use a bit more good luck in the near, and long term future.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
hope you find relief for your back! good luck :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Well... I just got a new update. The anesthesiologist who was going to do this procedure, read my radiology report and said he is not comfortable doing this to me considering the level of problem associated with my condition. The nurse gave me a copy of the report and it is 2 full pages long. She explained that I have spurs on the inside of my vertebrae that is causing pain because of the close contact to my spinal cord. It is not operable and will have to be managed with injections or other methods.

Right now I feel like, long term... I'm screwed.
My G'ma always used to say "It's a great life if you don't weaken".

I'm being discharged in a few hours to return in 7 days when the first doctor who was going to do this (but is on vacation) returns to review my case.

Sorry I just blurted this all out but there is a big of emotion involved in my writing right now.

I could use a bit more good luck in the near, and long term future.
That sucks we will be praying for you. Keep in mind you can always have other options with more medical opinions. Doctors are human too.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 PROSTAR
Been there gone through it all. 3 back surgeries in 4 yrs. picked up a tshirt and herniated the disk. Dr at the time told me it was a siatica. Went and got another opinion. Thank god. Herniated disk hitting nerves for legs at L4-L5. Have 37% percent feeling in the legs. 8 MRIs in 4 yrs. good luck with your spurs
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

I'm home now... and it's my birthday today! I just won't be running around like this guy. --->

We got a referral to another Dr. and we're trying to get in today. I realize now how much that morhine pump was keepng pain at bay. They gave me vicodin and flexeril (sp?) to get me by. I'd rather not stay drugged up on this stuff for 6 more days until the other guy comes back from vacation.

I appreciate the positive outcome stories - it gives me hope. Misery loves comapany but I couldn't wish this on anyone.