Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
Trailer refurb or new?

I have a 2001 x30 that is on its original trailer and has seen its better days. Right now I feel I have 2 options. Refurb it or find a new one. By refurb I mean all new brakes (Convert to UFP 35's) on all 4 wheels, New actuator and brake lines, Possibly new torsion spindles, and a sand blast and repaint since the paint is sketchy and starting to rust. The tires and rims are fine and have about 200 miles on them. I figure this would cost around $2000 for everything.
OR do I try and find a new trailer which I am finding is hard to do. I know I cant just get a random trailer and I don't think MC still builds my trailer so I am looking for any leads on trailers in the AZ area.
What would be the best way to go? Also looking for any leads on trailer shops that would do the sand blast and paint in Phoenix/Mesa. I can do all the brake work myself.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
My $0.02

I'd refurbish the trailer. May be a bit of a task but more fun and frugal than a new trailer....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Last year I weighed new vs refurb......we decided new was a better deal for us. Stock Boatmate tandem was Quoted around $4400......I figured it would be about $2k for full refurb so net difference was $2400.....We sold our trailer for $2k in 2 days on Craigslist. So for close to same $$$ we had a new trailer with warranty and torsion vs spring axle....of course we ended up upgrading to every option so our trailer cost more

For us this was the right decision due to how much we trailer and we have no plans on buying a different boat.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritt View Post
Last year I weighed new vs refurb......we decided new was a better deal for us. Stock Boatmate tandem was Quoted around $4400......I figured it would be about $2k for full refurb so net difference was $2400.....We sold our trailer for $2k in 2 days on Craigslist. So for close to same $$$ we had a new trailer with warranty and torsion vs spring axle....of course we ended up upgrading to every option so our trailer cost more

For us this was the right decision due to how much we trailer and we have no plans on buying a different boat.
Yep, that is where I am right now. For what I paid the boat was a great deal and I don't want to get rid of it anytime soon, but I know the trailer isn't the greatest right now and I need something I would be confident towing long distance. Unfortunately finding a Boatmate dealer out here is getting to be a chore!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
Unfortunately finding a Boatmate dealer out here is getting to be a chore!
My first contact with BoatMate was direct. They put me in touch with the local dealer. So I'd recommend calling them.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy View Post
My first contact with BoatMate was direct. They put me in touch with the local dealer. So I'd recommend calling them.
Just got off the phone with Mark from Boatmate and he put me in touch with a local dealer. May be a little pricey though. He said around $5200 for a base trailer. So we will see what the actual price comes out to be.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Just got off the phone with Mark from Boatmate and he put me in touch with a local dealer. May be a little pricey though. He said around $5200 for a base trailer. So we will see what the actual price comes out to be.
I thought the same thing but if you can go see a trailer by BoatMate, their standards are pretty nice! Here's my almost stock trailer.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371071295.984293.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  55.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371071311.962932.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  63.6 KB
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy View Post
I thought the same thing but if you can go see a trailer by BoatMate, their standards are pretty nice! Here's my almost stock trailer.
Attachment 96661
Attachment 96662
That does look nice. What upgrades did u do? I know the boat buddy is an upgrade. I also like the bow pad that my trailer has. I didnt see that on yours. Hopefully I will get over to see one in the next couple days. Bad thing is the Boatmate dealer only deals in Tige's so I can expect to get upcharged some. We'll see.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
and starting to rust.
In my opinion, THIS this is the key to your decision. You need to evaluate the extent of the rust... Rust and corrosion destroys trailers, and these cheap MC trailers with the tubular construction rot from the inside out and its not easy to tell all the time how bad it is.

Quote:
The tires and rims are fine and have about 200 miles on them.
Mileage has nothing to do with condition I have found out the hard way. My tires have been perfect ST rated low mileage tires, but once they are over 5 yrs old, you're on borrowed time. Plan on replacing if they're over 5, the consequence of not doing that is worse than the expense of new tires.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
In my opinion, THIS this is the key to your decision. You need to evaluate the extent of the rust... Rust and corrosion destroys trailers, and these cheap MC trailers with the tubular construction rot from the inside out and its not easy to tell all the time how bad it is.

Mileage has nothing to do with condition I have found out the hard way. My tires have been perfect ST rated low mileage tires, but once they are over 5 yrs old, you're on borrowed time. Plan on replacing if they're over 5, the consequence of not doing that is worse than the expense of new tires.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com