Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190 351Ford
Beginning 1988 Tristar 190 restoration.

I did run it at the lake and did some skiiing with it. It seemed to run without any hiccups. Theres a slight trick to start it. i have to put the transmission in nuetral and give it a tad bit of gas while turning the key. Otherwise just cranking the key will just cause it to turn but not start. Thoguhts?

The bow eye? Is that at a funky angle? Or normal? That back bolt was loose. I did tightened it but otherwise it does not feel loose. Thoughts?

The gas gauge bounces all over the place. What would cause that?
Its a 351 Windsor, what should the oil pressure run at.

That gap between the windows, is that normal...wher eyou can see the screw? Feels solid.
The bumper (what would you call it) going around the boat needs to be replaced. You can see a spot where he siliconed it when he damaged it from hitting a dock to hard.
How would I go about fixing this?

Carpet needs replaced. Any links that show how to walk through this.

Water in the bilge. I dont think that should be there. Packing maybe? Ill probably have a boat shop near me give me an estimate to what it would cost to change. THoguht I would love a good tutorial to learn how to do it myself.

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Ive got a long ways to go.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Bow eye is normal. You need to manually give some gas to an engine with a carburetor. The computer does it with fuel injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBURETORS - $249 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you for the input!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
It's normal for the gas gauge to bounce. Mine has since I have gotten it. When it stops moving, you need gas!

Oil pressure between 40-60 psi.

I filled my gap between the windshield and hull with black silicone. The foam that was in there previously kinda deteriorated. Much more leak tight now than it was before.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 MC Tristar, 351
Post up some full frame photos. I've been slowly working on my 220. Still needs some tlc but she runs good. Yours should be a fun project. Try n do it yourself so you know how and save some money.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Xstar
1. Cranking the key while pumping the throttle is normal on a ford 351...carbureted after all
2. Bow angle is fine, normal. Just tighten down as you stated.
3. Gas gauges like to bounce in these older ones. If it bugs you, try both cleaning and/or replacing sender.
4. Windshield, missing foam gasket. Window is solid without, but you can buy a replacement
5. You can buy both replacement rub rail (stainless) and the insert, color of you choice. Google it. Easy, grab a beer, a buddy to help, and bang it out in an hour. Make sure you silicone the screws before installing
6. Carpets aren't terribly hard. Must remove side skirts, dog house, rear seat, driver seat. Remove, measure/cut template, reinstall
7. A little water (1/2 - 1 gallon) total of water in bilge is normal, helps with lubrication. Natural drop from packing, like 2-3 per second. If = more, like pouring in, replace packing.
8. Good luck, easy just take your time. There are haters on here about the 'ol Tristar, but a great boat. Skiing, and boarding, great to learn on.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Trick for cranking. The silver "knob" puts you in neutral and limits forwards travel of the throttle.

Either before pulling the knob out put it once to full throttle and back to neutral then pull out knob.
Or.
Pull knob, go to full throttle in reverse (engine doesn't know the difference between F and R full throttle) and back to neutral then start boat.

Typically these will fire right off with this technique, once it fires you may need to advance the throttle a bit off idle to keep it running while cold.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

Here are some full frame photoes
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the tips fellas. I took the bank account to zero so ill need a month or two before money goes into her.

Btw what is normal operating temperature? It seemed to stay around 170 on the lake.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM
TT Newbie

Also, any tips to fix up the screw holes on the dash. One has a washer on it because it looks to be hollowed out. Apparently dash producrs are like gold...rare and expensive