Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft X9 310 predator
Linking My boat stereo to another

I know this has been asked before but I have not found a good enough answer that makes me happy so I am hoping someone or David from earmark can help me out.
I am wanting to link my boats stereo to my buddy's while we are beached next to each other at party cove. I dont have a problem buying the 300.00 wetsound WS-420SQ but there is no way I am going to get my friend to do the same. I don't think it will work unless we both have them correct. I really don't want an FM modulator if possible because they never sound as clean as a bluetooth link or a cable. I have wetsound rev 10' with all JL audio HD amps. He has all digital Designs (10K+) with JL amps. We want our boats to sound amazing so any advice or help would be great.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
The great thing about the linking system with the Wetsounds WS420SQ is that the hosting boat with the WS EQ can control his own boat system with the master volume on the EQ without impacting the volume on the slave(s) down signal.
If the slave(s) have an Aux input of any type on their HU (DIN changer input, 3.5mm, analog USB, RCA, etc.) then with easy connector conversion the slave(s) do not necessarily need to install an EQ.
If for any reason, the signal is too strong for a given HU Aux input, then an inexpensive & concealed Pac LC-1 can attenuate/balance the level.
Long before the WS420 EQ was available we source shared coming out of an ipod with a 'Y' division and a line driver on the host boat elevating the signal voltage to reach the slave(s) boat. Same principle. Same result. Just without all the wonderful other bennies of the WS420SQ.

David
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
The WS eq is nice but not necessary.

You can hook to an unused Head unit output or tag off an amp pass thru that has full range signal with RCA's.
The receiving boat can then plug into their HU input RCA, use a 3.5mm HU input or go directly into their amp(s) depending on setup.

I have two 50' cables I can pass to another boat, that can usually get us up to 3 boats away of clean signal sharing.

Cables to Go has been good quality at a decent price. I look up the part numbers on their website and then Amazon usually has good prices/ pass thru ordering.
http://www.cablestogo.com/

examples - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep an assortment of barrel connectors, 3.5 converters, Y splitters, and 6' cables to make a connection work. A $3 part can be the difference in making a connection.

The Master unit has to use caution anytime there is a variable volume signal involved that they let the other boat know volume is going up. IF the receiving boat has already cranked theirs based off a lower volume input and Master turns up, it can do damage.

One person needs to be in control on each boat. Keep the drunk girls and other wanabe DJ's AWAY!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft X9 310 predator
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Post #3 explains exactly why you should have the WS420SQ, or a line driver and a source sharing scheme.
Do you want to relax and enjoy yourself or worry about someone tinkering with the host volume and smoking speakers on a slave boat?

David