Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Sporatic no start when warm - 330HP Scorpion

Yes, I know, different boat but I feel slightly responsible.

Sister-in-Law's 1999 Cobalt 202cs that we bought over in Seattle a few years ago. Had some help from a fellow TT'r checking it out and he said it was "OK" but not exceptional by any means. We went ahead and bought it though.

Now, 2 years later we still continue to have reliability issues with it (glad I brought my MC up to use in Idaho this summer ).

She told me last summer they had issues with it not starting last year and the repair guy this spring, put in a new alternator. I did not get the real reason it did not start...just that "it did not start" on several occations.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to try it out and after driving around for quite a bit, I parked it to change the tranny fluid. So maybe an hour rest. I went to start it again and the engine just cranked, fired up but then sputtered and bogged down and eventually quit. I tried various techniques of feather the throttle, giving it more, giving it none......it still had difficulties firing up. I even heard a little bit of stumble/backfire type sound. It would run terribly for a few seconds to 10 seconds and then stall.

Rest it a few more minutes and then try again, starts right up.....idles up on it's own to about 1700 rpms and then tapers back down to normal throttle rpms. Drive the boat away and no issues.

Obviously, very frustrating for her (widowed) with 4 kids. She is very understanding and logical but I still feel bad.

My 94' was the " o'l reliable" and was used most of the 3 weeks we were there.

I'm now back in Colorado so I can't do much but I just don't know what to tell her. I've suggested taking it "back in" and have any codes read but I also did not notice any check engine light. So would any codes even be stored if no light?

I think she is starting to consider selling it.
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

I did install new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, fuel water separator, last year.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Cobalt is known to be an upper-end rec and performance boat co.. They pay attention to detail, quality and looks. Nice lookin boat! Sounds to me it might be a computer issue. Contact a Cobalt dealer. Goodluck!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Sorry to hear your still fighting this. It is a good looking boat.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I bet it's ECT sensor... when was the last time that was checked - engine running temp okay - or running a little high? when was thermostat changes last. Weird thou after an hour still starts hard. Any codes saved in ECU? I bet this is the issue.

ignition control module.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Delphi/117/DS1...FctcMgodDXQAXg
Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 PM
MC Devotee

Rick, yea....definitely frustrating. I was going to pull my boat back last weekend but left it there just because they were still having problems with her boat. And secretly, our ski wake is still a lot better than hers so my girls are becoming more and more ski snobs and wanted to keep it longer.

Mike, any reason a code might be stored? I don't recall the temp reading but it didn't catch my eye as being unusual.

This is also, on top of the tranny kicking out of gear and then re-connecting "issue". I changed the fluid so hopefully that got fixed. Oh, and the gearshift coming loose again not allowing the boat to go back into neutral to start. Just an allen wrench tightening but still irritating. These are the major 3 issues.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
Cobalt is known to be an upper-end rec and performance boat co.. They pay attention to detail, quality and looks. Nice lookin boat! Sounds to me it might be a computer issue. Contact a Cobalt dealer. Goodluck!
That's why we bought it. When I was younger we had a 79' Cobalt and it was a tank! Solid!

But I do recall my dad spending a ton of money on that lower unit! OMC unit if I recall correctly.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post

Mike, any reason a code might be stored? I don't recall the temp reading but it didn't catch my eye as being unusual.

Yes - for example on the LT-1 engines a 42 code indicates a ignition module fault or connection to module fault. Rockman here just had that issue - wound up being a busted connector on ignition module - so I am just guessing you have a similar problem.

After an hour engine still warm - maybe Ignition module just needs to be replaces or there's corrosion there... on connectors.. or something not connecting.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
ny
This is also, on top of the tranny kicking out of gear and then re-connecting "issue". I changed the fluid so hopefully that got fixed. Oh, and the gearshift coming loose again not allowing the boat to go back into neutral to start. Just an allen wrench tightening but still irritating. These are the major 3 issues.
when is it kicking out of gear - near neutral. Does the Cobalt have the same throttle control as MC?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
when is it kicking out of gear - near neutral. Does the Cobalt have the same throttle control as MC?
No, on acceleration! I'd idle out with a skier and then floor it when ready. Boat would take off and then slip out of gear (with engine reving up) and then clunk, into gear again and take off as normal. The level was at half way on dipstick. I topped off and help but then occured again. Looked in records and could not see any tranny change in the 150 hours so I did a change with Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have not noticed any other issues since (fingers crossed).

Yes, same as MC. Velvet Drive and the gear shift is similar to my 205 but the neutral button is on the lever instead of a separate one.

I lost track of Rockman's final solution.....glad to hear. He was starting to get really frustrated!
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1