Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197 2006 MCX
For how long do you ski in a session?

I live on a river and ski behind by PS197 most mornings before work starting at 5:30 a.m. and I am at work by 8 am. I'm an open water skier, age 54. My usual routine is to ski about 2 miles on SAG conditions, turning as quickly as possible and always pulling hard across both wakes. I consider myself fit and doing a 4 minute run seems to be a great workout for me even though it's not a long workout session. Needless to say it's the most fun a person can have in 4 minutes so I'm reluctant to call it a workout. After I ski, my partner skis back to the dock. We're very efficient. I'll ski longer on the weekends but my primary workout revolves around my 4 minute sessions on most weekday mornings during the "summer" months. I've never had access to a slalom course so I don't track ski runs by sets. Am I a wimp at age 54 to ski hard for only 4 minutes and call that a day? I think not. My muscles tell me they are definitely getting a good work out. I've read several articles lately about how short, intense workouts are proven to work. I did CrossFit for one year and liked it very much but it was too high impact for my legs (box jumps etc.). I've been an open water slalom skier for nearly 50 years and love it!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Open water skiing is different from course skiing wich is short runs that last only 40 seconds but are more intense once you sart shorthening the rope.
No way i could ski for 4 miles with the intensity of skiing 32 off.
That said,i think you re in good shape to be able to ski that long without stopping for a breather but the intensity of course skiing is something ...different.
I ski early too,only boat on the lake with a couples of fishermens.First set is 6-7 passes and 4-5 passes on the second set.
Best way to start the day!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
course skiing wich is short runs that last only 40 seconds
You ski at 15 MPH???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnandburn View Post
Am I a wimp at age 54 to ski hard for only 4 minutes and call that a day? I think not.
Definitely not a wimp. I know I could not ski 4 minutes in a row pulling across both wakes the whole time. But I agree with Andre above - 2 sets of 6 passes @ 34 mph in a slalom course is much more intense than open water skiing. I skied 2 sets last night, 2nd set running 3@22' 34 mph and my body and hands were COOKED afterwards.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
You ski at 15 MPH??? .
Why not,Nate does it.
Well,almost!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGzK_3fUfU
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I'm 54, and I dream of the days when I could ski for 4 minutes straight. 2 minutes or so then rest, and back out for 2 minutes, that's about it for me. Guess I need to get in better shape.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Needless to say it's the most fun a person can have in 4 minutes
Maybe second most. . .

Kidding aside, I think your body will let you know if it's a workout. As you said, your muscles are the immediate feedback mechanism and your breathing will also let you know you've made a muscular effort. I guess a fitness pro would tell you that if you want to "build" then you'd need to lengthen and intensify. . .but for maintenance exercise, I should think the same routine is both valid and ample. I have only just started skiing and wakeboarding in the last month (at the age of 50), and I noticed that this week is the first where I didn't "feel" the weekend afterwards. I worked the water harder this past weekend than any previous, but felt less achy. . .to me that means my muscles are stronger and therefore previous sessions created the benefit (cuz I sure don't work out any other way). Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

I heard Lucky Lowe say he likes to go out and do 100 turns in a free ski set. I believe he is close to your age also, and has no acl's.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
... Guess I need to get in better shape.
Not at all.I could ski around the lake for half hour easily but i m tired after 6-7 pass in the course.
It s all about the intensity of your skiing.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
My 6 pass set lasts approximately 102 seconds - 1 minute and 42 seconds... I ski 2 sets... Last night the water was so good, i skied 8 passes on one of my sets, add 34 seconds.

I was so sore this morning, when the alarm went off, all i did was moan about how cooked i was

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I ski 4-6 minutes... bunch of hard cuts then cruise behind boat holding handle with inside of elbow joint for a minute or so..then...then hit the cuts again... - will be 54 this december.