Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Beginner's Slalom Video

Okay - you said I had to post a video or it didn't happen.

I dumped the people out of the boat and asked my driver to speed up to ~27 to 28 mph and it helped the wake problem tremendously. My rope however didn't have loops to let me shorten it. I'm rope shopping this week.

I'm a little reluctant to post my "beginners" video because it's going to be like watching paint dry for ya'll. But I watched the drills over and over and tried to apply. As I watched my own video's I'm not certain I'm liking what I see going on as I try to bend my knee and ankle. Something doesn't feel right. I'll let you watch and see what you think. I did test the coast and then lean and power through the wake and decided I'm not quiet confident enough yet. I took off like a dang rocket!!!! I'll try again this coming weekend.

http://youtu.be/uo7CioI9_jk

Let the games begin......

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
1 At 6.34 Dont ski so close to peoples dock!!! It s dangerous and peoples are gonna hate you for it.

2 You seem to be in great shape for taking long rides like those !

3 Best thing in the world you can do is going to Cobles!

4 I ll be affraid of leaning through that wake too! You gonna love skiing a Prostar!

5 Keep it up.Main thing you need for now is time on water.

6 Hips ALWAYS in front of the shoulders!

Have fun!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
#6 for sure. My last fall was head plant due to just that. Did the front door dive.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Ski it up... Lisa - nice job - more water time - will make it easier... keep it fun - more time in the water will build your confidence and comfort.

Small cuts from just outside the wake back and forth and then go wider... I am starting to get the feel for hard cuts thru wake on edge... still have to work on form - but my shoulders are in a better position than almost all my last season skiing...

I still have lot's to do... "ski it up!" Keep getting out when you can... and no skiing near docks... the injury thread does not need any more entries.

not the best video - camera person a bit jittery.

http://youtu.be/ZIIlSPD8_dY

I have lot's more to learn and lot's of practice ahead of me as well...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Regular

Why didn't I think of that...not cutting out SO wide each time. I would be plenty confident to stay on my edge thru the wake if I wasn't coming from so far and with so much speed. Thanks for the feed back. And yes, I realize the cove I ski in is very narrow. I wasn't as close as the video appears. I go there to try to find good water.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
it seems to me based on what i saw that you really are scared of the wake... it also seems that you are tail riding it pretty bad.

the width is not your issue, that will help you in the long run in a slalom course. The reason you're getting so much speed is that well.. lets pretend you were in a slalom course... it's what we'd calling pulling @ the buoy... The 'work' is supposed to be done behind the boat, from 'white water to white water...' that way when you cross the 2nd wake, you've broken free of the boat.

If you can put more weight on the front of the ski, this puts more of it in the water, slowing the pass down... riding the tail will not allow you to get those sweet turns... putting more weight on the front of the ski will also help get your hips forward... try squeezing your butt cheeks together.

youtube is blocked here at work, so i had to look at your vid on my cell, i cant tell - are you LFF or RFF?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
Why didn't I think of that...not cutting out SO wide each time. I would be plenty confident to stay on my edge thru the wake if I wasn't coming from so far and with so much speed. Thanks for the feed back. And yes, I realize the cove I ski in is very narrow. I wasn't as close as the video appears. I go there to try to find good water.
when you get a few of these you back off a bit... ...lol... and ski lessons help a lot plus the coaching here is awesome...
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

LFF just like on wakeboard. Do you think that's why my ski bounces (porpoises on me sometimes). I think what I was doing in the video was bending my knee/ankle but not distributing my weight to my front foot. I was very aware that when I started out my front left leg was straight and rigid and I remembered "the stance" in the video drill and was trying to mimic it. And I understand what you saying the work is behind to boat and I should be broke free by the time I cross the second wake.

My next question is, I really use the small triangle area in front of the handle (I stick my ski inside of it when I pull up to hold my ski steady). When I get a new rope, it probably will not have that. Should I put the rope on the left or right side of my ski and will it make it difficult to get up?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
when you get a few of these you back off a bit... ...lol... and ski lessons help a lot plus the coaching here is awesome...
Every time I see this picture...it shakes me up...I would for sure end up dizzy again!!! LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
LFF just like on wakeboard. Do you think that's why my ski bounces (porpoises on me sometimes).

Should I put the rope on the left or right side of my ski and will it make it difficult to get up?
When the ski bounces, it's because you are 'short pulling' AKA not pulling across both wakes. Hold the pull longer, it will save you from more OTF wipeouts...

On the get up, I am RFF and the rope is on the left side of the ski. I think LFF would still be the same.

On your drills, do them on land between ski days... On he water, practice pulling out wide and leaning against the boat.... just hold that pull to get a feel for it.... knees bent, wrms straight, hips up...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...