Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2
Fuel pump please READ !

Guys & gals we had some major issues Saturday morning. I had some fuel pump issues on my X2 took the boat in the dealer had my fuel pump changed out. During the process someone left 2 of the bolts outta the top of the fuel pump ( attached is a picture you can zoom in and see that the bolts are missing) I had put $106 of fuel in the boat that morning which had a fuel tank when I backed the boat in and started it the boat immediately burst into smoke and flames coming from the fuel tank. Luckily we got the fire out before it burnt through the tank. I'm not telling everyone how to handle their business but this is one of those things I never would have even checked. Someone dropped the ball on this and I'm thankful nobody was hurt in this mess up ! Keep a eye on this kinda stuff no matter if it just came outta the shop or not they can make mistakes as well ! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374597865.273298.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  70.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374597883.548298.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  66.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374597898.756152.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  94.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374597919.153404.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I will wait for your Dealers response to fixing this. If it goes sour, I will send them bags of $#it for a week.

PM me if needed Drake.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Thanks for starting this thread for everyone s safety!!!
With so many fuel pump failure and the work done in the Fuel pump 101 thread and many peoples tackling the job themselves(including me on a friend boat),it s a good reminder of what can happen when fuel leak in a boat.
Be careful all when replacing your fuel pump!
Again,real happy that you are all fine!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45
I didn't replace the main seal or the ones around the bolts when I did my pump.. This thread makes me want to go change them now.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I will wait for your Dealers response to fixing this. If it goes sour, I will send them bags of $#it for a week.

PM me if needed Drake.
Thanks traxx will do
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

On my previous boat (non-inboard) I had the fuel pump replaced. I used the boat at least half a dozen times. I never filled it up. I usually never had more than 3/4 of a tank. The one day I decided to fill it up I had the engine hatch open for some reason. I looked down and there was gas all over the bottom of the engine compartment. The dealer forgot to install a gasket on the new fuel pump. Scary to think about what could have happened all the times I used it or if I didn't have the engine hatch open that day. Drake, I agree about checking it even if a shop did it. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
May want to have 3rd party check to see if they left out gasket as well (if the shop is trying to balk at paying for repairs). Wouldn't expect much leakage with 2 bolts missing but maybe some slight weeping vs. large amount of fuel spilled but in any case they should never have half assed the reassembly
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9 MCX
Fuel vapors are more combustible than liquid. Those two missing bolts allowed the vapor to escape, and well, the rest is in the pics.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
May want to have 3rd party check to see if they left out gasket as well (if the shop is trying to balk at paying for repairs). Wouldn't expect much leakage with 2 bolts missing but maybe some slight weeping vs. large amount of fuel spilled but in any case they should never have half assed the reassembly
i actually would expect alot of leakage... i replaced my fuel pump last year and didnt tighten those screws down all the way (had all of them, they were tight, just not tight enough). filled the boat up one night before we were going riding in the morning. i go back to the boat later that night and smell horrible gas fumes in the boat (which i normally never do) checked the pump assembly to find that in fact that was the problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
I guess this could have been me also. About three weeks ago I Topped off the tank after our outing. While pulling out the wet gear I smelled raw gas. Lifted the floor up in the "trunk" and there was gas on top of the tank on the outside. WTH? I got on TT found the torque spec for the screws that hold down the fuel unit and torqued them down. Would they back out on their own? More and more I'm beginning to feel this boat was not loved by its previous owner. Thankful there is an abundance of information on here.