Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
1979 Stars & Stripes Gelcoat Questions

Hey, y'all! Been awhile since I've been on the forum. Unfortunately, I've been away from my boat for quite a long time, as well, which has been in storage in Austin for over a year. Well, my brother brought my boat to me the weekend before last, and I set about taking stock of what needs to be done to it.

I wired-in a new ignition switch (the last one broke last time I took it out), a new light pole socket and did some general cleaning. Charged the batter and the boat started right up and ran like a freakin' top. It always amazes me how reliable my boat has been.

Anyway, what I'm now looking at is giving her a facelift. I've read the many threads here on the various restoration projects (americanskierjim's LTD, and a few others), but I've yet to come across the answers to my questions.

My boat is a Navy Blue sparkle (the stripe) and white. The Navy stripe is both discolored in a few spots and the gelcoat has worn down to where the metal flake is protruding from the surface. That said, the often-suggested process of polishing with the various 3M (and the like) compounds is not applicable here. Nor is simply clear-coating over the existing because the color is lighter in some spots and darker in others.

So, my question is this. How the heck does one go about putting a new finish on the boat. Is the blue sparkle actually a paint with gelcoat over it? I'm trying to understand the layers of the finish from the fiberglass out.

Also, the coating on the rest of the hull is pretty decent, but for the sand/beaching rash at the forward V that the previous owner provided with the boat!

The top, is another question. There are several hairline cracks in the gelcoat that need repair. But the question is, how do you repair that with the wrinkle-texture that's part of the decking surface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just looking to learn how to go about refinishing the boat in the most efficient, educated way possible.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM
TT Regular

Here are a few photos...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
TT Newbie

I have the exact problem. Anyone have a remedy?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W

Good info in this thread (around page 46):

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=restore
Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Regular

I've read through Jim's thread several times. If I remember correctly, he simply clear coated the existing gelcoat and then painted the bottom.

The Blue Metal flake on my boat has discoloration (more like differing shades of blue - lighter in some places and darker in others), so simply clearing over it will not fix the problem.

I am considering painting the boat, instead of re-gelcoating. Just can't seem to find anyone who knows how to properly go about it.