Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
First Start of the year, ran but then stopped. (Flywheel needs replacement)

Hooked everything back up, put in plugs etc.

After a few pumps of the throttle the engine fired right up. There was some pretty bad belt whine and realized I had not re tightened the belt via the alternator.

I tighten it up, go to start the boat, has a bit more trouble but fires up.
Let it run for about 1 min, shut it down to add some belt dressing, then go to re start and won't fire up.

I can hear the engine spinning, but the pulleys don't spin or run at all. Almost seems like they aren't connected.

Looking for thoughts and ideas to check??? I am headed back out to try it again with the belt looser

Last edited by College Kid; 07-25-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Sounds like a seized water pump or alternator. Take the belt off and see if you can turn the pulleys by hand
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Loosen belt, it didn't help

Alt spins by hand as does the chrome pulley (don't know the name of it). I have removed the water pump and it spins easily.

I put a wrench on the lowest pulley (wish I knew the names of these things) It turns but takes A LOT of force to move it.

As I have never manually turned over an engine I am not really sure how tough it should be to move.

Thoughts?

Last edited by College Kid; 07-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
If engine turns the pulley connected to harmonic drives alternator and water pump. Shoot some video and post on youtube and give us a link... don't even have to start just let it turn for a second or 2.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
If engine turns the pulley connected to harmonic drives alternator and water pump. Shoot some video and post on youtube and give us a link... don't even have to start just let it turn for a second or 2.
Will do,

I put it all back together and gave it a crank and it turned. Didn't start but the pulleys do all spin.

researching I found this thread and decided to pull the starter to see what's going on there. I noticed a lot of metal shavings that look new.

I'll grab some pictures, and maybe a video if I can figure out how to upload it.

keep the comments coming.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

So some pictures of the flywheel and starter.

Could this be an issue with the starter not able to engage the fly wheel?

The starter spins, but doesn't seem to be engaging the fly wheel, or is it engaged all the the time?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

I cleaned up the shavings and put it all together, now the starter only clicks?

Thought maybe the battery might have lost power so went to remove the leads, and noticed the positive terminal and wire were very hot. this might be un related but seemed odd to me.

for now I have thrown the battery on the charger to make sure it is good to go. Dash guage was reading around 9 or so.

Thinking I may need to rebuild the starter now?

Any other thoughts?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
The noise your hearing "when the pulleys are not moving" is that starter turning without turning over the motor. The flywheel teeth appear to be stripped pretty badly in that one spot. By turning the motor by hand IE moving the big pulley at the bottom that is hard to turn, you can move it to a good part of the flywheel to get the starter to engage again; but that is only a temporary fix.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall0711 View Post
The noise your hearing "when the pulleys are not moving" is that starter turning without turning over the motor. The flywheel teeth appear to be stripped pretty badly in that one spot. By turning the motor by hand IE moving the big pulley at the bottom that is hard to turn, you can move it to a good part of the flywheel to get the starter to engage again; but that is only a temporary fix.
So what your saying is I need a new flywheel?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Yes, -- look like it's time for a new flywheel - change the damper plate while you at it... you also myigh be able to get a machine shop to install a ring... but I am not an expert... This is where the dead engines help out with parts... IMO