Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
Removing the Velcro Goo - '05 197

checkout the thread on teh problems with the velcro http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ghlight=velcro

anyways got all kinds of VELCRO GOO, so need to remove it...thinking of using GooBGone (citrus based) on the fiberglass and a soft sponge, ANY SUGGESTIONS???

also how do i remove these mild scratches...some on white and some in the blue, BUMMIN'...

also if i use McGuiar's boat wash and spray cleaner, what do you use to wipe it down with???they've got those new super-absorbent kitchen towels or micro-fleece???or the old sponges???once in awhile you get some road-grime from trailering, how do you prevent from scratching when you go over with a sponge...

never had a NEW BOAT before, always dealt with fixing other's scratches and polishing swirls!!!
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
I just bought an '05 PS 197 this season and have similar issues....really paranoid about trying new stuff for fear of damaging the new rig. For "goo" and other marring you might have, I've found that Carbosol works great. You can find it in the hardware store near the paint thinners and solvents. Mine came in a yellow and white tin made by Sunnyside. I believe it's a dry cleaning chemical. I just blot some on a paper towel and rub over any goo. Takes it all off and evaporates right now. I've even used it to remove marring on the rub rail, and MasterCraft lettering, from trailer guides or pier bumpers - haven't had any issues with it 'melting' anything or scratching.

For minor scratches (if you can't feel it with your fingernail) I've had great luck with 3M Perfect-It III rubbing compound. It works best using an electric polisher and foam pad. You can't screw anything up...the gel coat is sprayed on pretty thick, and you have a large margin. I've even wet sanded a few scratches out with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper, then followed up with the Perfect-It and electric polisher - looks showroom again. I refuse to pay someone else to do it, if I can learn myself. If you'd like more detail, send me a private message with any questions. Good luck!!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Oh yeah, on the 'maintenance' part...you may want to get yourself a new sponge just for the boat, and some good quality car wash soap - Mequiar's, etc. After washing, I let the boat air dry then spray down with Babe's Boat Bright, followed by a microfleece towel to dry/polish(auto parts stores, or body shops have the towels). Babe's Boat Bright is a cleaner and wax all in one, and it keeps my rig slippery and shiny 100% of the time. I go over the boat with Babe's after every outing and helps keep the grime from forming. You can use it on everything but the vinyl - works great on windshields and chrome trim. That's my system for what it's worth.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

great tips!!!i'll have to check my local paint or automotive store for the Perfect-It...sounds like great stuff!!!

now what type of "electric polisher" and "foam pad" do you use???i'm new this type of repair work...

i ended up using GooBGone which took off the adhesive...fortunately wasn't on there for too long to cause any permanent adhesion...that Carbosol sounds great, hopefully won't get any marks on my rubrail because of my setup, but one never knows...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelm1
Oh yeah, on the 'maintenance' part...you may want to get yourself a new sponge just for the boat
what type of sponge did you find works best for not leaving scratches???got one of those lambswool mitts, but when you're removing road grime from trailering, hate to scratch it with dirt collected...

saw a bunch of different styles of microfleece, any that are better than others???they all say SCRATCH FREE!!!
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM
MC Fanatic

I'm new at all this too, but found there isn't much to sanding, buffing and polishing. Just a little patience, and it's good therapy working on "the baby". The polisher will run you some cash. I got a Milwaukee variable speed from the local Fleet and Farm for around $175. Makita also makes a very nice one that may be just a bit cheaper. The foam pads you can get at an automotive store, but ordered mine along with the 3M Perfect-It from Levine Auto over the internet - levineautoparts.com. Debated whether to spend that much on polisher plus supplies, but I figured I'm in this for the long haul, and scratches are inevidable - want to keep the boat showroom as long as I can.

I just bought a plain old synthetic sponge and that seems to do the trick. The old hand mitt style wool pad may trap dirt and grime, possibly giving you more opportunity for scratches. The microfleece towels should be pretty much the same...I ordered mine along with the Babe's Boat Bright (probably paid too much) so it was handy when it all came in the same box.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Oh, and if you ever end up buying a polisher and supplies...there are also some great tips if you do a search on 'buffing' or 'polishing' gel coat. Otherwise feel free to send a private message and will help best I can. So far, had a pretty good scratch from my kid's wakeboard clanking against the side...could feel the abrasion with your fingernail. Couple passes with some 2000 grit sandpaper (wet sanded with a little dish soap mixed in to lube everything), scratches were gone but now there was some haze and light scratches from the sandpaper, followed up with the Perfect-It III rubbing compound on the polisher and you never knew it was there! Probably saved myself the price of the polisher on that ding right there!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 197 TT
BuoyChaser,

Try a really soft nylon scrub brush with the GooBgone on the velcro muck. Like the ones surgeons use to wash with. They are soft and won't scratch. Don't rub too hard!!

Never use anything on the boat except deep pile 100% terry cloth. Sponges hold dirt to the surface and can cause scratching. The pile of the terry lifts the dirt away from the boat. Any synthetic pile mits, spunges or cloths are harsh and may cut the surface. AS well aty away from the Mr. Clean magid erasor - its great on the kitchen counter but will scratch your boat as well as sandpaper.

Check out this link for some tips, just about anything that applies to cars will carry over to the boat. I'm not sure but your boats finish is probably tougher than your car's

www.meguiars.com/howtocenter/

Vogelm1 is right about the buffer/polishers, they can really help with fixing scratches and keeping the boat up. Most come with different foam pads for cleaning /polishing /waxing. Get a random orbital if you can as they tend to reduce the chance of burning the boat's finish.

If you are going to polish etc, make sure the boat is 100% dirt/grit/grime free before buffing, use the terry, turning and rinsing it often.

Last edited by Big Spray; 10-13-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I have used goo gone on a number of painted, polished, glass, plastic, soft, and hard materials at work. Never seems to leave any damage to the surfaces, but it does smell like oranges for a few days
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Leroy

I have a small bottle of "sticker off" for removing stickers and the glue. Works great.