Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190 With Ford 351
Water Pump Leaking

Wheres a good place to buy a water pump for a 89 prostar 190??
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidforceb069 View Post
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1094
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Engine water circulating pump like this, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA057004 or the raw water pump like Coz posted???

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
TT Newbie

It actually looks more like it's coming out of the pump crank... Like there's thoughs four screws and ones missing...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Communication issue here, maybe. Not sure what a "pump crank" is. Maybe you mean the pump that's attached to the crankshaft pully at the bottom of the engine?

Sounds like you're raw water pump cover plate is missing a bolt and is leaking. Maybe all you need is a new gasket and a replacement brass bolt. OTOH, if it's leaking from behind the raw water pump, it might be the pump seal and likely the whole pump needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.

As to the gasket, I'd be inclined to just replace the impeller. New gasket is included.

Does this look like the offending component ? (may be painted black)

If so, it's missing one of the bolts and you need one of these? (I'd be inclined to use brass, not steel)

Last edited by bigmac; 03-09-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Communication issue here, maybe. Not sure what a "pump crank" is. Maybe you mean the pump that's attached to the crankshaft pully at the bottom of the engine?

Sounds like you're raw water pump cover plate is missing a bolt and is leaking. Maybe all you need is a new gasket and a replacement brass bolt. OTOH, if it's leaking from behind the raw water pump, it might be the pump seal and likely the whole pump needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.

As to the gasket, I'd be inclined to just replace the impeller. New gasket is included.

Does this look like the offending component ? (may be painted black)

If so, it's missing one of the bolts and you need one of these? (I'd be inclined to use brass, not steel)

this link.. the top part that says pump crank

heres my photos..

so could that whole thing be bad or just the seal and impellar?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
lf069, the impeller will not cause the leak. the leak is either from the front white gasket or the shaft seal on the rear of the pump. big difference in price to fix. you need to look under the pump when it leaks and see if it is coming from the front or the rear. if front, get a new gasket and screw from skidim. less than $5. If coming from rear, you need to get whole new pump from skidim at a price of over $100. some people will suggest you just replace the rear seal but this is more work and requires a press to install the bearing. surest answer is to get a whole new pump and it comes with new impeller, gasket, and all 4 screws! Really easy to replace.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Replacing Raw Water Pump

I just went through this. I thought I needed just an impeller. Replaced it and read more on the forum. These TT guys know their stuff! Turns out I had a worn pump. I took the replace the pump strategy because replacing the bearings took special tools, time, and talent.

You can use skidim as suggested. I called Jack at JA Chamberlain (www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com). The Johnson pump you need is a Johnson Pump, F6B9 and i got mine from him for $159 plus 11 bucks shipping. I installed it myself. It was a piece of cake.

To share a little more, once my pump was replaced my engine started running VERY cool. After more consulting from TT I chedked my thermostat and sure enough it was corroded and stuck open. I again called Jack, got a 15 dollar replacement thermostat, installed it myself, and was good go to. Depending on your motor, you will have a 143 degree or 160 degree thermostat. There is debate over which is best, but I went with the oem recommended 143 and with my pump and new thermo, my engine runs very close to that temp all the time now.

Good luck to you. Good news is this is a easy repair. Costs a few bucks, but better to fix it than to have your raw water pump fail completely and then have an overheat problem that costs more down the road - and worse of all could end up in lost lake time!

John
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 & 1989 TriStar 190
I have to agree, if the pump is leaking from the back, replace it. I replaced mine and it is easier and just a little more expensive.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
this link.. the top part that says pump crank

heres my photos..

so could that whole thing be bad or just the seal and impellar?

How are we to know, unless YOU put the 4th screw in it after replacing the gasket and or impeller, run the engine and see if it still leaks! We can't do it for you.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.